Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok...anyone that knows me knows that fuel delivery is like reading sandskrit... its friggin impossible to figure out for me. That being said...

I want to run a 750CFM Q-jet through my 350HO (vortec heads, performance intake, good size cam)... what the heck do I need to run for a mechanical fuel pump?

Edelbrock performer? Holley? Carter? Summit?

6psi? 8psi? 13psi?
    80gph? 110gph? 130gph? 170gph?

It seems like I should be able to run a 6psi 80 or 110gph fuel pump... but like everything else, there are so many choices and whatnot that its impossible to simply "go pick one up" and I definitely dont trust the teenager behind the counter at my local Schucks/Autozone/etc...

I would like a rebuildable one if that helps.

-Ryan

2. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

You have the same 350ho crate motor that i do right?
    You could call up the dealer, say Carr Chevy which stocks all crate engines and what not and ask them what fuel pump they recommend for your engine. The guys at the parts counter down there are really knowlegable about their engines.
    Also you could give Summit racing a call.

3. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, and if you want/decide to get one at the dealer, I happen to get a 20% discount off anything through the parts counter. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I could hook you up with that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

A stock one should work just fine. You're not drag racing the thing and a stock fuel pump will push enough fuel for a well built 454 w/ a 950 cfm sitting on top of it. They are the same bewteen SBC/BBC. You could go for a higher priced aftermarket unit, but why bother? You don't need it. Also, if you don't know how to install it, I can help you out with that. Got any room in your garage? If not, we can do it in mine.

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

cool... I have room in my garage now, since I cleaned it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

If ya need one a stock one will work just fine for your application, its all I am running on the Camaro's 350 and I don't seem to be able to run it dry (except when the needle hits E /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif ). If you want one at a discount give me a jingle I am not that far away /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif