Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which fuse for '79 Blazer fan/AC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jun 7, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Is it a 15 or 20? I don't have the specs and it keeps blowing a 20. It'll run for a few minutes and then it pops. :confused:

2. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken I think it was a 30 amp but sounds like your blower motor maybe trying to sieze up or has some debris around it causing the blower to pull more current thereby causing the blown fuse.

Just a thought, the thirty may solve the problem.

Good Luck.

3. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You're exactly right. The fan makes an aweful noise for a few minutes. Then it clears up, but somethings not right with the fan itself. That can cause it to blow a fuse? Unfortunately, I know very little about electrical work. Thanks for the tip though. I'll try the 30 and see where we get. If that works, would you think it's the fan with debris/worn out that's causing it?

Thanks again.

4. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Whenever an electric motor has to work harder to do it's job it has to use more current. When it's in good shape it may only require 10 amps to do so, but as it ages bushings/bearings wear out or dry out and the amperage will start to rise. If the current rises more than the fuses rating, the fuse blows in order to protect wiring and prevent wire insulation from melting down maybe causing a fire.

Good Luck. I gotta go set some tobacco.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you know the fuse that is popping, just pull, say, the electric fan wires off the fan/relay, and see if it doesn't pop. Easy way to prove if its the culprit.