Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Jul 1, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Ready for new gears and can't decide what to get? First off, which brand should I look for and which should I stay away from? Now for the hard ?, what ratio? I have a set of axles w/4.56's already, but am not sure if they are low enough. I think I was told that the lowest match set for the d-44&14 bolt were 4.88. Is this true? I'm running 350,th350,203,35"boggers,4.10's right now. Also do any of you run a welded rear? Just a thought, trying to save about $400.00. Any input and experiences would be greatly appreciated.Thank you,Russell

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

4:11 should be ok with 35s (ok mileage)
    4:56 ( stock performance)
    4:88 (high performance)

If its a daily driver, you should use 4:11 or 4:56

[​IMG]chevy4x4[​IMG]
    http://4x4.coloradok5.com

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You can gear a 44 down to realllly low. The best you can get with a 14 bolt is 5.13's. Stay away from Motive Gear. U.S. Gear and Richmond are my favs. Don't weld the spider gears unless its only driven off-pavement. 4.56's would be plenty for 35's anyways. I had that combo in an old Jeep once and it was great.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

One of my club members welded the spiders in there FF 14bolt
    They machined out the splines in one hub to let the axel act like an open unit. When he gets to the trail he puts on a hub with splines, and insta` locker, he`s ready to go. He has ran this for a year now with no problems. Still the spider gears do not like to be welded on. It will fail some day, and you know where that will be,50 miles from nothing.
    If you do weld them make sure to use nickel rod,(no mig or 6010 rod) and burn it in as hot as your welder will run.