Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which gps??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TWISTEDJACK, Oct 21, 2006.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am in the market for a gps unit, I really know nothing about them so which one works best for our sport?

2. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

are you looking for a handheld unit or one to wire into the vehicle?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been toying with getting one also, i'm interested in the handheld Garmin E-trex vista.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I highly recommend Garmin units. I've used a Garmin GPS III for years. I find it very easy to use.
    I suppose that Magellan's are as well, but they operate differently than either my Garmin or my Lowrance and I didn't care for it. Still, they are worth looking at as I've a couple friends who own & like them.
    My Lowrance is also a pretty nice unit, but their customer service guy's lack of interest or caring about my inquiery made me a permanent adversary of theirs.

Garmins can bring in second source map files. I assume that the Magellans can as well.
    Lowrance uses their own, proprietary file format and until just recently the only maps you could load into a Lowrance were those they supplied. If they didn't cover the area you want a map of (I wanted one of Baja California) you were skrewed. If you called them to ask about such a map you got "Nah, we don't want to be bothered with doing that. If you want a map file of that area you'll have to buy something else." This after spending nearly $600 on the thing & reading that they did have such a map, only to discover after the pruchase that it has virtually no usable info in it.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I second the Garmin. I too purchased a GPS III back in '96,still working perfectly and still rivals alot of current GPS units. Can't speak for the others as I've never used them.

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I use a Garmen Etrex Legend C. Just replaced a Venture with it. I have been pretty impressed. It is easy to download maps off your computer. The only problem with this one is that I cannot get all of the state of Alaska on it, but I can get the entire Pacific Northwest on it :D . The Garmens are easy to use, and very tough. I had my old one in my coat for five season of snowmobiling, hunting, off roading, etc. It was used HARD! Finally, it broke when I wheelied my sled over on top of me.

Figure out what you are going to be using it for, and go from there with how much memory you need. The Vista is nice, but paying the extra $100 bucks for just an altimeter was not something I was interested in. The only problem I have found with the Legend is I can't upgrade the memory. No biggie as I got all the areas I go to on it, and if I go down to the states I can download the area I am going to. Garmen has a good site to compare the units. I would also spring for the MapSource cd's. Well worth the price.