Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which headers w/ BBC

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Clockwork71, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

I am in the middle of swapping in a 396 in my 71 blazer. To all you folks out there that have done it, what headers did you use? I bought a set of hedman elite hedders, but they will only work if i swap in a 73+ engine crossmember. This is an option but i would rather use a set of headers were I can retain the stock small block crossmember and motor mounts.

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

3. Clockwork71

Thank you Yukon Jack! I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. I may end up putting in a 73+ crossmember. That way i am pretty sure any 4wd header for 73-87 would work. I would also benefit from the clam style motor mounts. Now the next issue:doah:. If i use this set up the new crossmember goes under the front of the motor and would be in the way of my cross-over drag link. i would have to use ORD's high clearance crossmember to clear the drag link. On a different subject, i am using stock valve covers and had to pound the firewall out about an inch on both sides. i figure thats not too bad.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    Here is my 454
    Thorley headers...see the drivers side hangs way low and the pass side is almost 'in' the framerail..they work good but don't fit al that well.
    The ORD x-member is about 1/8" away from touching the pan, so it fits but very close.
    Good Luck
    Burt
    PS ~ Welcome abord, My family tree goes back to Broadhead & Albany Wisconson. If you know any oldtimers from thease towns tell um Burt says Howdy hahahaha

5. Clockwork71

Thank you for the picture Burt4x4. I am going to try using Doug Thorley 304-Y headers with my stock crossmember and motor mounts. Also, I made the drivers side motor mount a solid steel mount so I don't have to worry about breaking a stock rubber one.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sure no problem, I think 304-Y is what I used too.
    Good Luck
    Burt

7. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    couldn't you use some shorty or blockhugger headers for like a hotrod?? curious b/c hopefully i'll be running a BBC in the next few months as well...:)

8. Clockwork71

I Thought About Using Blockhugger Headers So I Could Retain The Stock Manual Clutch Linkage. I Decided To Use The Doug Thorley 304-y Headers. All I Did Was Grind A Little Clearance In The Pass. Side Frame To Clear The Second Header Tube. I Am In The Process Of Installing A Hydrolic Clutch Right Now. I Am Using A Wilwood Master And Slave Cylinder.