Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Moose, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I am looking into headers an thinking Doug Thorleys but the cost D@*m. Is that truely the best header or any other Ideas?

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm happy with my Flowtech afterburners. They fit fine. No install problems. I have never heard anything bad about Thorleys, but they are certainly expensive.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm happy as a clam with my Hedmans - they fit good, sound good, and only cost 100 bucks[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What year is yours? Does it have AIR?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thorley's are supposedly less likely to leak than any other out there.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. klier

klier Registered Member

89Jimmy,

How is the access to the plugs on the Afterburners?

Brian Klier
    '74 Jimmy/'86 Blazer Hybrid
    <a target="_blank" href=http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject>http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject</a>

7. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used or heard anything about the Edelbrock TES shorty headers? I've been looking into those for my 83.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thorleys are the best, there is no better to my knowledge. Tri-y design, thick flanges, and unbelieveable price--the only reason I passed them up.

I have the Dynomax Jet-Hot coated ones, they're great for the price, $200.

I'd stay away from shorty headers. Headers are a PITA as it is, why wouldn't you want real ones if you're going ot get them? Whether you have full length or shorty's doesn't really matter much, but why waste your time replacing header gaskets on something that isn't any better than manifolds anyway?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i am with pugsley......heddman. they do the job, are cheap and fit well.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

10. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Long tube headers give higher top end performance where as the shorty's are better for low and mid range. The long tubes will sound better, but they are both improvements over stock anyday......

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BS. Small primary long tubes are better than shortys by a long shot. Tri-ys are better than both of them.

Tim

12. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Klier,
    No problem changing plugs. Socket fits on all of 'em.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

13. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Its a 1990. I think I'll check out the Afterburners to see pricing. Thanks guys

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You guys kill me sometimes talking about the high prices for Thorley headers, but then you'll turn around and spend x boo coo dollars on some other part, like say Detroits and powertrax lock-rights. Lock-rights work good and are cheaper, but the Detroits are the best but more expensive, and yet alot of you get the Detroits.
    If the Thorleys are the best, then spend a little extra and get the best.
    Thats all, Im not pointing out anyone in particular. This is just a general summarization of what I have seen around various posts through out the past year.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

15. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Where is the best place to get Thorley's?

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I think the majority of people here are like me when it comes to justifying prices. I will pay top dollar for my tires/rims etc.. but when it comes to other items, I may not. When we looked into the lift kit for hubbys Z71, we went with rancho, not because of the price, but because we are happy with the way they design there lifts. (my lift was done b4 I bought the K5). same way with the carpets for my truck, I probably spent more than other people, but I was happy with my product. changing my spark plugs, I can't justify the expensive ones, other people can, it's all in what you want or expect a particular part to do. But then again,,,, if you skimp on headers, will you regret it later if it leaks or not? It's all a personaly preference,,where do you want your money to go?

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Get some that are pre heeat coated (ceramic)....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got Heddman and they fit perfect and there are no clearance issues. Once you spend more than 300 bucks on headers (that aren't for the AIR thing), then you're just paying for the advertisment in my opinion. You do get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay some more bills for the company than you really should.

I've got some edelbrock shorties on the camaro and they made a big difference in power and fit real well.

If I understand it right, it was the size of the tubes. If you have smaller tubes, it helps torque more than HP and larger tubes helped HP more than torque.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

19. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

AHH, but Laura I seem to remember that you had some leaking issues! Not to poke any fun or anything.
    Thats the biggest problem, in my eyes, is the leak issue. But thats just me.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lara,

You're right, smaller tubes favor torque and bigger tubes favor top end horsepower. However, to truely have any benefit, the tubes must be 30" long or longer.

Leaks are caused by improper install or crappy gaskets, or the owners don't tighten their headers properly and often. I am guilty of this and it cost me a header gasket one day. It can cost you a set of headers if it's real bad.

Tim