Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoseK5, Mar 17, 2002.

1. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

I'm thinking of installing headers on my truck, any advice(s)?

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm using dynomax headers. They came jet-hot coated and have lifetime warrenty against rust. Cost was about $210 from jegs

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I got Flowtech ceramic coated headers, about $210. The drivers side bolted up just fine, passenger side collector hits spring shackle when it's compresed. I'm not sure if this one was an odd ball or what. I might shy away from these.

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have FLowtechs too, the After Burners. My driver side spring bolt hit the tube, but I could have trimmed the bolt and avoided it I think. It just dimpled the tube a little. No other fitment problems

Otherwise I have been happy with the headers. They seem to perform well.

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

im running Flowtechs as well and have had no problems with the exception of the ends kinda touching my rear hangers on my front leafs, got them for 120.00 at pep boys, the way i look at is im running a pretty much stock motor and i dont think the brand of headers is gonna really matter as far as feeling a differance, now if your running 400 HP then i see a point in beening picky. besides any header is better than stock

6. I got a set of Heddman Hedders, and I like them a lot. I definitly noticed the difference after I put them one. They gave me more power and better gas mileage. I always though that was just hype, but they actually gave me what they said. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also they were like $200 from a local shop. Not to bad. I broke off a couple of studs off my manifold so it gave me an excuse to buy them. Later

7. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

I've got hooker comps, they work great so far, about $140 from Summit Racing. p.s. while your at it you can get the dual exhaust from them too, its made by hooker and is around $120-w/o mufflers. Chris

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I've got Hooker headers on my 4x4, and Hedman's on my 2wd. I like both brands & haven't had any problems with either.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

$70 Summit racing specials here...no problems at all except I bought the dynomax dual kit and had to have it bent in a couple of places...

10. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have swap meet specials (unknown origin). Even the crappiest header is better than manifolds. I would buy the ones with the thickest flanges available to prevent leaks in the future. Before you install them, take a grinder and get the mounting surface as smooth as possible. lastly, do not bother with the $40.00 copper gaskets. I have tried them and they are in a parts box in the corner and the $4.00 Mr Gasket paper ones are on now without a leak.

Of course, thats only my opinion.

Tom

11. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

12. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just another piece of advice, if you can afford it get some ceramic or jet-hot coated headers. My Flowtech Afterburners bolted in nicely and didn't hit the spring shackle but right when I fired them up the paint started flaking off. They looked like crap and raised the under hood temp dramatically. My wire looms got toasted and fell apart. If I were to do it again I'd make sure they were coated. But for now I repainted them using a silicone exhaust spray paint from Summit. They work great for now, no flaking. You might also want to consider installing a starter heat shield. I went for a long summer drive to the trails after I installed my headers. I stopped for gas and the truck wouldn't start. Had to let it cool down to start again. The starter is so close the the header that the solenoid gets cooked and does't engage. Just another thing to think about.