Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which HI-STEER arm should I buy????? -POLL-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I am doing my d60 swap and the last thing I need to order is my Hi-steer arm. I say arm because I am only going to do crossover with a highsteer arm until I can afford the other arm and new tie rod.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have a four inch lift.

My question is which highsteer arms have you guys used, and would reccomend. I dont want to get /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifORD's /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif just because of cost (150), I have been looking at part's mike, sky's or shakerbuilt. Any others I'm forgeting....does TONYP make one yet?

What would you get on a budget? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

and please post any pics of any hi-steer arms and pics of them installed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

edit: I need to clear up some confusion I tried to prevent. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I am going to do crossover steering for now...using a highsteer passenger side arm (2 holes, inner for tie rod, outer for drag link) The reason I am not doing highsteer now is because I don't have the money for two arms, (need the driver side too) or to buy a new tie rod. So for now I am going to run the 2wd sector shaft, superlift pitman arm, ORD draglink, and ?WHICH HI-STEER ARM? should I choose?????

I am just going to use the outer hole one the hi-steer arm for crossover until I can afford the other arm(one hole, driver side)and new tie rod.

I hope this clears this up for you guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Thanks
    Jesse

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You realize you need ARMS, plural to run hi-steer, right?

Edit just re read your post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I voted for the Sky arm. I've got their whole crossover kit on mine (not completely done putting it in, will be very very soon)

http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84k10 if ya want to see one bolted on in actual as would be used position. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think you're confusing the location of the crossover arm with a "true" highsteer setup....? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ALL crossover steering arms will mount to the TOP of the knuckle (up high...) but the tie rod stays in the same position (off the front of the knuckles and directly in front of the pumpkin and diff cover.

High Steer is when you also move the tie rod (up high...) and mount it to the steering arm on the passenger side AND you add a steering arm on the drivers side too.

I have a good series of pics in my gallery that shows the conversion from a standard crossover steering setup to a high steer setup. There is a good picture that shows TWO tie rods installed simultaneously which should really help you to visualize the main difference between the two setups.

I hope that helps....but please be sure you understand what you are buying before you start. You CAN'T go to highsteer with a standard crossover arm, so be sure to choose one that can do BOTH types of setups.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Sky arm has two holes, but they're both machined at an angle. I can't understand how you could use hi-steer on one of their arms without the tie rod ends screaming at their limit and being at a funny angle. A proper hi steer arm would have the draglink hole at an angle and the tie rod hole at 0*.

5. 81jimmyslt

I need to clear up some confusion I tried to prevent. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I am going to do crossover steering for now...using a highsteer passenger side arm (2 holes, inner for tie rod, outer for drag link) The reason I am not doing highsteer now is because I don't have the money for two arms, (need the driver side too) or to buy a new tie rod. So for now I am going to run the 2wd sector shaft, superlift pitman arm, ORD draglink, and ?WHICH HI-STEER ARM? should I choose?????

I am just going to use the outer hole one the hi-steer arm for crossover until I can afford the other arm(one hole, driver side)and new tie rod.

I hope this clears this up for you guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Sky arm has two holes, but they're both machined at an angle. I can't understand how you could use hi-steer on one of their arms without the tie rod ends screaming at their limit and being at a funny angle. A proper hi steer arm would have the draglink hole at an angle and the tie rod hole at 0*.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have skys arms and my tie rod ends look fine. D60 knuckles have alot of angle to them.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The holes are on an angle to make them perpendicular to the ground, not to make them so they line up with the plane of a straight draglink. Look at your D60 from straight on, the tops of the knuckles slope inwards. The angle of the arm where the tierod and draglink bolt on should both be on the same plane - level with the ground; even if you used a straight draglink the TRE attached to the steering arm would only have a slight angle (the same angle as the TRE attached to the pitman, for what that's worth). Use a bent draglink and every TRE on the steering system will be in perfect position when the truck is at rest.

8. 81jimmyslt

Looks like Sky's winning as of now

Part's Mike arm on his website doesn't look like it's angled right like the others?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. white-rhyno

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The holes are on an angle to make them perpendicular to the ground, not to make them so they line up with the plane of a straight draglink. Look at your D60 from straight on, the tops of the knuckles slope inwards. The angle of the arm where the tierod and draglink bolt on should both be on the same plane - level with the ground; even if you used a straight draglink the TRE attached to the steering arm would only have a slight angle (the same angle as the TRE attached to the pitman, for what that's worth). Use a bent draglink and every TRE on the steering system will be in perfect position when the truck is at rest.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so your saying this guy is confused right?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so your saying this guy is confused right?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell - yes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. white-rhyno

thank you

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The Sky crossover kit does not come with a straight draglink.

2. The holes are machined at an angle to make up for the fact that the steering box is much higher on the frame than where the steering arm is on the axle. If it wasn't, the TRE on the drag link would be screaming at its limit when the truck was sitting at rest.

I'll have to look again but I do not believe that the plane that the hole is bored in will allow you to bolt a hi-steer arm to the arm that I have.

Maybe they have two different arms available and you're thinking of a different one.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Do you just have the crossover arm from Sky? I could be wrong, maybe the histeer arm they make has the angled part that the TREs bolt to angled up towards the arm, and that would be wrong. They should be on the same plane, but that plane should be parallel to the ground/axle.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't have my '60 bolted in yet as I'm waiting on my spring bushings but it certainly looks like the holes are at an angle to me.

I did only order a crossover kit, but the arm has two holes in it like the picture on their website. I thought one would be flat and the other at an angle, but they're both in the same plane.

I know it sounds weird, I thought it was weird too. I think what I have is a crossover arm with two holes depending on how you want your truck set up.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, what I beleive you have is the same arm as their crossover arm, just with 2 holes in it. The angle that it has will align the ends the tie rod and draglink to be perpendicular to the ground, that is, the studs in the TREs will point straight at the ground when looking at them from the front or rear of the truck. That's the way it should be. I suppose that you could make an arm that has the hole for the tie rod on the same plane as the one you have, then have the hole for the draglink angle even more so it points at the pitman arm, but I don't really think that it would make much difference since the angle on the grag link ends wouldn't be that severe anyways with the arm you have.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll snap some pics at knuckle level when I get it all buttoned up so we can check it out.

17. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got some pics of my arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 81jimmyslt

Nice arm stomper I like the height, what kind is that, you make those?

You guys are confusing each other back to the post /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Hey Tim I know you said your going to get some pics up, you have sky's arm/arms right? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

They are Sky Mfg.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well that solves it I guess.

I guess there's a lot less angle machined into them than I had thought.

That's all the distance you threaded your studs in? Mine went much deeper!

Nice spring plates. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yes mine is a Sky arm too.

My only complaint is the cheap made in Taiwan tie rod ends I got, what a crock. They'd only give me a $20 credit for them if I took the setup without TREs though.

At work the Moog 1 ton TREs retail for about $50 each though. (BUT MADE IN USA!)

Personally can't wait til mine wear out so I can pitch them. If I had the money I'd do it now.