Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which hubs are better

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Apr 8, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Yesterday i went to look at hubs for my 86 blazer. At my local auto parts store they had some warn's and some mile marker's the MM were $67 and the warn's were $77 I was just looking at the basic manual hubs nothing to special. I don't do anything to hardcore i just occasinally go mudding. What is the best for the money I don't want to spend more than a $100 tell me what you recommend. Also what is the difference from one brand of hub's to another what makes one better than another one thank you

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Warn Premium. I got my Warn Premiums for less then $100. I think they were $85. I really like them alot. I installed the hub fuse in them too for added protection. They are alot better then the factorys deluxe hubs that came with my truck. I havn't had any problems with them in the 2 years I have had them. They are what I will recommend, and always buy from now on for other rigs I may own.

3. blazentank

what is a hub fuse

4. Hossbaby50

A hub fuse is a different ring you put into Warn Premium hubs. It is designed to fail a around 44,000 inch pounds if I remember right. It is designed to fail before a axle ujoint does, provided the front wheels are striaght. So basically if you wheels are straight (or close) and you get to much traction to the ground the fuse goes instead of the 297x ujoint in the front axleshaft joint. This way you can repair your hub fuse in 5 minutes instead of an axle joint which takes alot longer and you are back on the trail sooner instead of later.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The bad part is if your wheels are turned, the axle breaks first. I have yet to see someone break an axle with the wheels straight and both on the ground. You cant run them with a locker though. Its destroys the hub fuses really quick, then destroyes the locker.

6. Hossbaby50

true. I have heard that ARB air lockers will not break if a fuse goes though. I just figure if it saves me just once it was worth the money.

7. DesertDueler

The reason it doesnt break the ARB or spools is because they dont disengage. A locker will disengage going aroung corners, or like when an axle breaks, so it sits there and slips the whole time you are driving, and wears it out really quick. I agree if they save you once its great, but I just like my warranty on the super winch hubs, take them back and get new ones right then and there no questions asked.

8. Hossbaby50

I have heard the same thing about Warn though. You call them and tell them you broke one, and they send you one in the mail. So I have heard.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I personally believe in Warn Premium. I have a set on a D60 turning 44" swampers. I have not broken one where my friend had a set of mile markers on his D60 and broke several running 38x11 Boggers. You might look into some procomp brand hubs. They appear to be very similar to Warn Premiums. Why are you replacing the ones you have now?

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

There is no difference on the internal part of the warn premium, and just the regular warn hub. Infact i think the regular one is better, the premium one has that wavey spring, and the regular has just a big plain spring. So in my opinion, save your money and just get the regular warn's. - Doug

11. blazentank

Because the stock auto hubs wont go into 4 wheel drive

12. DesertDueler

Yea but you have to wait for them to send you one, where as the superwinches you take them back to the store they give you new ones, and then they send them back to superwinch for a new set. It makes it easier for you and you can go back out wheeling.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not true
    they want proof, ask RedDwarf
    I used digi camera to send them pics months after I first contacted them to say they were broken,
    then they UPS'd me new hub bodys.
    of course the new design use different snap rings and they were no help with getting them

14. Hossbaby50

Thats why I carry the stock rings I replaced with the hub fuse, and my factory set of hubs for spares. I have heard Warn gets them there in a day or two after you report them broken. Not a bad turn around, and with one extra set of fuses, and stock hubs I think I can wheel for awhile. If I break all those it is time for a D60./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Hossbaby50

16. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I've seen 79Beast raise hell with his 44s and he has yet to break a hub with the Warn premiums. My D60 came with standard Warns and they've held up fine with a front locker and 39.5s. I would definitely go with any Warns over Milemarker, though, because I've seen 79Beast's friend go through at least 3 sets of Milemarkers with the 38.5 x 11.00 Boggers with a welded front diff.

Will

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The only reason that I would recommend the Warn Premiums over the standard is that the premiums have all metal on the outside and are almost full turn. The standards have plastic dials and are quarter turn.

18. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

ill leave the warn on my bumper and the superwinch on my axles. just an opinion, but i love my superwinchees, ive never had a problem. i take em off about twice a year to do rotors, u-joints, stuff like that, and they're always in the same condition.

ryan

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

but other then the dial they are the same hub, at least on the 60 I believe