Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which IFS lift?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by roadnotca, Apr 24, 2007.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I have read and reread all the mfgs sites, the Petterson article, looked at trucks on the road. I may be further from choosing, than when I started looking.:doah:
    Or deciding between 33s or 35s.:doah: :doah:
    2007 Classic K2500HD 4L80E 4.10 axles.

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

since we pretty much have the same truck

[​IMG]

i talked to a few shops and most said rcd was a very nice kit, all said to stay away from procomp, and i have heard probelms with a few fabtech spindals failing, not to mention their lift puts the track width way out there.

I wanted a cst lift, but for a daily driver that was only going on dirt roads and every once and a while seeing some air time.. wanted a decent price lift, that rides nice and was a non headache install..

6inch rcd kit is the same kit for the 2wd or 4wd, my truck rides wayyyy bettert han it ever rode stock since the kit comes witht e nice bistien shocks.

I drive my work truck hard and my truck has see's curbs, berms whoops and has already seen some air.

I would tell anyone to buy it. my cost was 1730.00 from the crew at desert rat, I may have been able to find it a bit cheaper but they are good people and local wheelers and I add that to my value of the product.

the only thing I would change it to later put in a softer rear pack and and air bags to tow..then add a shock hoop and adjustable shocks up front.

tire wise..a 35 at has a nice amout of sidewall for a good ride witha 16" or 17 inch rim, not to mention good deals can be found on hummer h2 take off tires.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the reply.
    RCD is high on my list of candidate lifts.
    Those are sharp flares, specs?:D
    Edit; Have you seen the "Realift" torsion bar links? You could get your TB brace back up to stock location, for awesome breakover.
    Edit2; Front bumper info?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

X2 on what Supersize said. From what I've read online, the RCD and CST are the way to go. If you're going to be towing and hauling and do not plan on regearing, then I'd go with a 33 or 305. If you're not going to be towing or you are going to regear, then 35's or 315's will work out. 35's will look better, IMO.

I've seen H2 takeoffs with good (75%+) tires for $500 on craigslist.

You may want to head over to the Off-road.com IFS forum and look around, there maybe some info over there.

5. supersize75k5

have not seen em, oh and I have seen h2 bran new take offs for 600-650 here, thats a deal!

a mud terrain is 260 a pop! after these are gone my truck goes to 35 inch all terrains or 38's..who knows:D i will say that the truck did not look that bad with 285's and that a 305 would look nice, I do feel a change in power and onceI decide if I will be changing anything motor wise I will haev a tune by waitfor me

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks again Supersize & Bowtie.
    I'm already down for Bilsteins.
    It's been fun driving this thing with 6.0L, 4:10s and dealership tires:haha: , but I gotta go big soon.
    I've always used BFG T/A KO, but I'm thinking I'll try the KM's this time, @ LT285/75R16D (33).
    I'm leaning towards the Rancho 4" kit set to 4" (if I go to 35s on the next set of tires, the Rancho can be cranked).
    Add Realift links to clear in the belly, maybe ORD AAL in the rear.
    Plus all the Cognito steering parts (idler, pitman, tierod, pivot etc.).
    I don't want to lift any more than necessary because I'll be carrying a 700# (dry) camper.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, if bigger tires feels slow, I'll get plug-n-play.
    Those KMs are @ $210 list here, from 4WP:crazy: .

8. supersize75k5

waitforme tune is wayyyyyyyy better than plug in play and its 152.00 shipped

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: I didn't know of a "brand" plug-n-play
    I'll look-up waitforme.

10. supersize75k5

11. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

my wiat4me tune is garbage, the guy cant even get simple instructions right

id go with a full drop kit, fulldrop knuckle lifts like cognito or tuffcountry are nice, dont know what the tuffcountry runs but the cognito is spendy, RCD puts out a decent kit but i couldnt see paying for a 6" lift that only drops the diff 4.5" which means your CV angles will be worse than a 6" full drop kit set at the same height.

with these HDs you can fit 35s stock even on after market rims, with a 6" id go 37s

HD with a 6" tuff country and 37s

[​IMG]

same truck stock with 35s
    [​IMG]

12. supersize75k5

13. supersize75k5

14. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

there are several threads over on gmfullsize with dissatisfied W4M customers, ive talked to the man on the phone and he seemed like he new the basics and was confident with those questions, but once i started asking him if he could alter my tune to work with a 4l80e (which he has the software for) he straight told me he had no clue how. it also took a hand full of phone calls and over a month to get my tune in from the date i paid for it.

i wasnt saying the RCD is a bad lift, it isnt. ive jsut never been a fan of the non-full drop knuckle lift design. i do love 5100s, i bought some when i purchased this used trailmaster lift. and goin to be running 14"ers when i sas the guy with that duramax had a 98 z71 a while ago with a RCD lift and he seemed to absolutely love it from what he said, i dont know his exact reasons for not going back with another RCD, he had talked about doing it for a while

as far as the rubbing i have no first had experience, just what ive seen other ppl post pics of and what that guy told me he didnt rub after he cliped the corners of the valence off like in the second pic, many ppl also have different deffinitions of "fit", to me some minor plastic triming means they fit, but hey to each their own

15. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

a few dissatisfied w4m customers

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78715&highlight=wait4me
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61082&highlight=wait4me
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50877&highlight=wait4me

with mine the truck never ran bad, he just never fixed my speedo after that was realy teh only reason i purchased the tune, i gave him the exact circumferance of the tire just like he asked for, and along side a stock truck my speedo is still 10% off. i also told him to not change my shift points which we went ahead and did anyway. but my friend with a 96 like mine bought a tune from him, and when he got it, the truck would miss so bad that the engine died a few times, and when it would stay running, it never ran on all 8 cylinders so he took it out, got a refund and bought a hand held tuner.

when i finaly swap in a 4l80e my w4m is goin in the trash can and im buying a westers tune, they are proven with a very good rep, its 390 bucks but to me it will be worth it

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There's a lot of good info on tuning and fitting tires at "TheDieselPlace". Its not all diesels.

17. supersize75k5

cajun thanks for the clear up and info;) just asking, I hear some products bashed or held up in the air and im always on the fence.

ill take the info into account before I spend some money!

also what do you mean by the full knuckle comment?

the rcd, as well as others all have raised spindles but they all only go up 3 to 4 inches. thats leaving only a couple of inches of bracket, and lets face it..even a torsion crank can net two inches of lift so I dont see any angles getting too far out of wack to be any concern.

I also looked at the real-lift

while I really like the use and purpose of the product I think it is a bit high on price, but im sure many many people would and do buy it. I would spend 200 but nearing 300 makes me want to hand the idea to my machinist and have him make themon the cnc..he loves new things to make since he is not into 4x4's it interest him.

18. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If you're just after 285's or 305's, I'd just do the Cognito kit (3"?), some rear overload airbags and possibly an AAL or similar, and save a bunch of money. If your front joints and boots wear faster, so be it.

I've been researching the programmers myself, and from what I've read it looks like the Diablosport Predator is the way to go. If anyone has any facts, knowledge, or negatives about them I'd like to hear them. Lots of programmers, but not all actually allow you to retune the Torque Management, which is the biggest performance limiter on our trucks. A couple of extra MPG would be icing on the cake.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I know the Realift is big spendy, but for such an easy 3-4 inches clearance under my skinny butt, I'll find somewhere else to save $$. Sure, like I'm hoarding pennies for the kids milk money.

If you do look into making a clone of the Realift, be sure to use Hoover Dam hard steel. It'll be very hard to cut or broach that internal hex.

Hmmm, weird thought; maybe two "keys" welded yin-yan style???:thinking:
    With a hex rod connector?:thinking:

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

As was said earlier, the HDs seem to have a body lift from the factory, so a T-bar crank with 33s plus if needed the plasticut and the tuck of the inner fender wheel house and park brake cable (dieselplace), with 16X8 wheels should be within range of adjustments.
    Diablo yes.