Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which intake manifold?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 14, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

what would be the best performance manifold that i could pick up at auto-zone or a parts house like that, considering price. i am putting it on my 83 jimmy with a 305 i want something that i can use on a 350 when i build it after this motor is gone. i have a edelbrock carb on the stock manifold now.
    thanx

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Depends on if you want low end torque or high end horsepower. For the torque, go with a dual plane intake like an edelbrock performer, for the horsepower go for a high rise single plane like a torkerII

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I agree. If you want more torque in the lower RPM range, go with the Edelbrock performer (idle to 5500 rpm), or Performer RPM if you plan on spending a lot of time in the high RPM range (1500-6500).

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

5. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Performer intake for a TBI? I am sure the Performer is optimized, but the stock on my 89 is aluminum also. That is why I wondered if there was a big enough difference to justify the $175-200 for the Performer.

6. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i got the 2101 non-egr edelbrock performer and it works great. you must of got that high price from the edelbrock catalog which they list that one at $176. i paid $100 for mine new in the box. most catalogs i have looked through have the prices higher than retail because they don't want to undercut their dealers. so i have been told. my original intake musta have weighed 3x more. what a hunk of crap.

phil

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

And I got a new 2101 in the box I will sell you for 100.00
    Brand new never used.
    Wheeling and dealing I ended up with 2, I put one on my Blazer and could not believe the difference...

8. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

I think that 89blazer is referring to the TBI Performer that indeed costs around $200 even from Summit. The regular one (2101) is the one that cost around $100.00

9. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

You'll notice a moderate difference if your carb's dialed in. For $100, the buck to gain ratio is pretty good and the labor's simple to boot.

[​IMG]
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The performer is the way to go. If you have an egr valve make sure you get the for egr applications, most of the ones I have seen on shelf at autozone are non egr. They can order you one though.

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Picture of intake for sale...

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got a line on a "Torker II" (real cheap)[​IMG] but I have'nt bought it yet. Would this kill my low-end? I tow a trailer and have a 4 speed so my low-end torque is kinda important to me.
    Rene

[​IMG]

13. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

Yes, you are correct. The P/N I need is 3704, EGR for TBI. It costs $207.95 in Summit. The 2101 costs 102.95. Quite a difference in price, that is why I was curious if anyone has tried the Performer on a TBI engine before I shelled out more $ that could be spent on what my wife calls "more productive things" like a new bathroom or kitchen!!.

14. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

the EGR version is not really necessary. I just installed a 2101 on mine.I used the old carb and installed a Accel blueprint distributor with super coil. I removed all the hoses and bull... Got more power then it ever had, runs strong and gets better milage. And no more ECM....
    And if a C note seems too high for a new one...make an offer

15. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

OK. I don't think anybody is understanding 89blazer's question. If you do just ignore my rudeness, but what his deal is, is he already has the TBI on his truck and he doesn't want to get rid of it he just wonders if the "TBI-Specific Performer" would be worth the extra hundred bucks. Can anyone who has a "TBI-Performer" on his truck tell him what it's like? Is it worth it or not?

OK sorry 'bout the rant but I'm sure he is a little frustrated too.

Anyways my two cents is to buy the 100.00 2101 "Carb-Performer" and see if there are any adapter/spacer type things to hook the TBI up to it.

Or you could fab up a spacer-plate and drill it for both of the mounting patterns of the carb and TBI, then cut, drill, torch, whatever out the space for the butterflies and TA-DAA!!, a Performer intake for a carb adapted to TBI with no mods to either. I feel like it would be well worth the time and there wouldn't be much cash outlay except for the mainfold.

Later,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

16. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

read the first post...