Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, May 4, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

for towing say 8000 lbs, a dropstep bumper or a receiver hitch?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Absolutely no question, a frame mounted weight distributing style hitch complete with spring bars and sway control is absolutely essential to pull a load that heavy from a ball hitch. The trailer needs to have its own functional brakes as well.

If you're thinking of doing it with a 1/2 ton or a K5 I would definitely think long and hard about it too.

8,000 is much more than it sounds like.

Me personally I don't pull on a bumper unless it's 2,000# or less.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Just wondering cause I currently have a FEY dropstep that is rated at 10K and would hate to replace it if it would work fine. What about the bumpers like Ranch Hand that are dropsteps with a built in receiver hitch?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would never trust a bumper. All that weight on the end of the frame rails, no way. A nice hitch spreads the load along the frame and just so much better.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is a questoin for you. If you wouldn't trust a bumper with all that weight right on the frame rail ends why do people trust 9-15K winches mounted to the same place? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know a step bumper isn't great for heavy towing, gooseneck or a load distributing hitch is a much better choice, but people use the end of the frame rails to pull themselves out of things all the time.

Harley

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you have a 15K winch mounted only to the end of the frame rails, you're gonna rip the bumper off just like you would a big trailer on a step bumper.

I inherited a Warn Classic front bumper, I think it is, and it has C-channel that extends back, I donno, a foot or a foot and a half along the frame, with multiple 1/2" or 5/8" grade 8 bolts through the frame (three or four on each side.) Maybe they're 3/4", I forget. They're bloody huge.

I'd say that's enough for a 9K, and while I'd be a bit worried with a 15K, I like overengineering /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, point being that for winches, especially big ones, a special mounting system, much like a frame-mounted hitch, is in order.

-- A

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd say you'd be ok with a ranchhand...those things are like bigass receiver hitches anyway...

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thats what I thought but I guess I should just look at how they mount. I would be using a weight distrubuting and sway control setup with it as well.