Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Feb 28, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 k5 with tbi 350. I dont have the money to afford headers and true duals for right now, so I am looking at another option. The stock muffler had 3 holes rusted in it so I took a swazall and cut it off right behind the catalytic converter. My catalytic converter is clogged so I am considering 2 things. Either get a new high-flow cat to replace the old one. Or, just ditch the cat and use a flowmaster 40 series muffler. Which would give me more power? I think the 40 series, but im not sure. BTW- I know that having no cat wont pass emissions, but I dont have to anyways.
    -Harrison

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt get a flowmaster. i've got a flowmaster 40 and high flow cat... i dont like it. wish i would have gotten a magnaflow. i'd reccomend getting a high flow cat and magnaflow.i wouldnt ditch the cat either. i had a straight pipe fabbed up for my exhaust so i could pull the cat out after getting smogged. i didnt like it. i could smell the unburned fuel in the exhaust fumes alot more at stoplights, made me sick. plus i think the engine ran better w/ the cat.

i got my parts from a guy on here. i think it was mudfrog. PM him, he's got good prices.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I already talked to mudfrog. He said he could get me a good deal on a magnaflow cat. I was just wondering what would work better by itself. Im either running just a 40 series by itself or just a high flow cat by itself. I was thinking that if I just ran the muffler it would make a bad smell. But then again, it cant be any worse than the horrible sulfur smell im getting from my clogged cat right now.
    -Harrison