Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NcRedneckJimmy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. NcRedneckJimmy

NcRedneckJimmy Registered Member

I have noticed a lot of people do not like body lifts on here! I am a college student, I do a lot of daily driving and a little wheelin' every now and then. I am on a tight budget and am debating on either running a 3" body lift with 33's or 4" shackle flip with 4" springs up front. Which would be the best/cheaper way to go?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it all depends on a few things. for one you can run 33's with no lift at all, if you are looking at 4 inch suspension lift then you would be better off with 35's if your current gears can handle it. If you can get the money suspension would be your better bet, you can get a complet kit from jc whitney for around 315 shipped then all you have to do is add a shackel filp which can be almost free if you do a hombrew version

3. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I ran 33's on my 89 k5 for a few years with no lift, And very little cutting of the fender wells. Never had any problems. Hope this helps.

4. NcRedneckJimmy

My gears are 3.08, should the be able to run the 4" with no problem, powered by a 305?

5. 1979jimmy350

with 3.08's and a 305 you will really want to regear with 33's or it's going to be a real dog

6. NcRedneckJimmy

What gears should I run with at least 33's? Sorry, new to offroading?

7. 1979jimmy350

well it depends, what tranny are you running, is it still a daily driver? do you plan on going to bigger tires in the future? Also what type of truck do you have?

8. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

With a 305, I'd say go at least 3.73, maybe 4.10. Since most of your driving will be around town/freeway, the 3.73's will keep your rpm's down, while doing an adequate job of moving the tires. Some may disagree with me though;) I'm running 4.10's and 33's with a 350, and I'm happy. The tach says around 3100 at 70 mph. If you have overdrive though, then I'd go with 4.10's.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On a budget I would say 3.73s because you can find these used alot. The body lift would work but our frames are not the stoutest peice ever built. You can crack the lift pucks or the floor where they mount. If you can afford it I would always go suspension lift, unless you are just going to buy the cheapest one out there cause it will suck. Hopefully a welding class is offered at your college then you can take it and build the shackle flip for the back new shackles for the front and then all you have to buy is springs brake lines shocks and steering correction

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

On your budget , I would run 32's , and leave it alone .

I had plenty of fun stock suspension and 31-32 inchers .

Save a little here and there , and when all your ducks are in a row , do the lift on a free weekend . With all the parts you may need gathered already .

Some stuff you can find used if you have time to look by waiting .

Heres fun without lifting , with a 305 and 3.08's Gov Bomb/open Clicky

Abd BTW , I am still on a budget , single locker , 33's , 3.73's and still the 305 . I tach 2 grand at highway cruising with my 700 :pimp:

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it would be cheaper and more benificial to if you decide to gear lower to find some 3/4 ton axles. They usually have 3.73 or 4.10s and then you would have more beef, and I bet you could do it for less than regearing your 10 bolts.

12. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I agree. You could prolly stuff 33's if you really wanted. Once you do one thing it requires another, its like rolling a snowball down a hill.

13. NcRedneckJimmy

I think that I am going to go with the 33's. They should fit with a little bit of banging in the wheel welds. My truck is mostly a DD with a little off-road action seen. Since the truck was given to me by my Dad, he doesn't really want me to lift it. He said he like's the stock look better with bigger tires, and really it's probaly the cheapest way to go for now. Until, I get some money saved. I would like to go with a mild lift, like 4" and just keep it clean for now.