Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is the best electric fan controller?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Dec 4, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just bought a set of Ford Windstar fans off ebay and am now trying to decide which controller I want to use. Since its a dual fan setup, I'd like to take advantage of the versatility and get a controller that turns the fans on at different temps, say 170 and 190 degrees. I also want to put a switch in to totally turn them off if I want (I also want to attach the switch to a LED that is on only when the fans are off, is this even possible?) I've been looking around a bit and it looks like summit has a good selection of controllers. What are the different type of senders? I've seen "radiator probe" and some intake manifold plugs and the probes just look like silver poitny rods. How do they attach? Here are a few that caught my eye. If you have personal experience or any advice on what to get, post up.

Index
    The ones I was looking at are p/n DER-16749, FLX-30331, and FLX-31165.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i got mine at the local auto parts store..$40 bucks or so.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only much experience with factory stuff, but Napa's Echlin catalog will net you a wide variety of temperature ranges for cylinder head or intake mounted temp switches.

I know the later Grand Nationals (I'd look at a 1987 application) used a pretty low on temp, like 195 or so, which is low for a factory application.

I'm not a big fan of lower than 195* engine temps, but I know you are looking at lower temps than that, so I'm just posting up what I know. The factory stuff is pretty cheap (except the connectors which are wrecking yard items IMO) so that is the route I went to run my dual fan setup. Ones on at 220*, the other at 240*, both factory settings, but 220* is governed by the ECM.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like the controller that came with my dual flew a lite fan setup. A/C relay, adjustable temp setting, 60% to 100% power depending on temp.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

flex-a-lite Code: 30331
    Price: $68.35
    I use this one, works good, adjustable temp, ac hookup, and a direct power on option. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif