Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is the better motor the 454 or 6.5 T.D.?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by James670X, Feb 2, 2003.

1. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at buying a 93-97 Chev or GMC 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 5spd (planning on putting a 6.5 inch lift and 35's on it) and was wondering which is the better motor for mud bogging, climbing, reliability, fuel mileage, etc...
    Feedback will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Everybody will have their favorite motor for each application...Personally, I am a big block fan...It will serve you better for mudding and is as reliable as a pack mule...The TD MAY work better for crawling and is also pretty damn reliable...The TD will most likely get you better economy...I would go with the 454...After all, I am building on for my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'd say a diesel in general would be better for reliability and torque, but the TD has one major downfall. Turbo's really don't like dirt, mud, or water when they're spinning at about 90,000 rpms. I've seen a TD hummer suck water in a mud hole and totally grenade the turbo. When they pulled the engine apart they found pieces of the compressor wheel embedded in the pistons and parts of the turbine were in the muffler. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

if you go with the diesel, get a 93 or earlier. they had mechanical injection. 94 and up had electronic which costs alot more to fix if something goes wrong with it.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have a 6.2l and am swapping in a 6.5l. i really like the diesel low RPM power. the only thing i dont like about these motors is they are heavy(but that dont matter if your going to use a big block) and they are very complicated. i cant do major repairs to my motor because i dont understand the damn thing. other than that id go for the diesel!!!

7. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

To the top

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My vote is for the diesel... although I'd be careful to get one that's been looked after. Given the choice, I'd pick one with large miles and routine maintenance over low miles and looked after by a meathead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5-speed diesel is tough to find on a GM. Might have to look into ex-fleet and service vehicles.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With mild build work a 454 will have much higher output, at the cost of lots more gas. The diesel will cost more to get higher output than stock. At high altitude the diesel really starts to shine since gassers drop off so much. And the diesels aren't bad to work on but you do have to put some time into figuring them out. Check out thedieselpage.com , they're dedicated to the GM diesels and can help with maintenance, what to look for, etc.

I'm a diesel fan and planned on putting a turbo'd 6.2 in my crewcab but when the plans changed to include towing my K5 I opted for a 454. i'm sure the 6.2 would have been fine when it was meant to be a big SUV with some light towing duties but when it comes time to hook 10K# of truck, trailer and gear behind it, I'm going for the ponies and buying lots of gas.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Unless you have the money to go through the 6.5, i'd stick with the BBC. The 454 should get round 12mpg, and have more than enough power for whatever you plan to do with it. The 6.5, although not a bad motor, can be iffy, and some of the later models have block, lifter, and other problems. It is harder than hell to find any of em with a stick, but it is definately worth it. I would look for a 95 as it was the last year for TBI.

11. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

12. swamp ratt

swamp ratt Registered Member

THE 454 WAS A MUCH BETTER MOTOR THAN THE 6.5. I WORKED FOR A GM DEALER AN THE 6.5 HAS ALOT OF FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS VERY COSTLY TO FIX THAT CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED WITH NO WARNING. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What pump are we talking about?

The frame-mounted electric lift pump cannot possibly be a tough fix. I've changed one in less than 15 minutes. I have no idea what they cost, but I'm sure a jobber one is fairly cheap. I say pack a spare.

The injection pumps.... well... I've seen/heard guys go through several, and some no problems at all. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I wonder if its a question of use/abuse, poor fuel, manufacture quality, or what? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From what I've heard injector pump failures are mostly due to guys not running fuel conditioner...

As for electric pumps...I'd have to say the TBI pump is probably just as prone to failure and much harder to change.

Rene

15. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

16. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I would say go with a 454 unless you got a non computer controlled 6.5. The 6.5 may get better mileage, make decent power, and last longer between rebuilds, but they have more than there fair share of problems. Tons of broken cranks and electronic injector pump failures have occured and Id be willing to bet that the number of problems that 6.5s encounter compared to 454s is much greater. So go with a 6.5 if you dont mind risking a major failure but want superior mileage and low end torque, or a proven 454. BTW, Im a big believer in diesels (thats all I own and all I ever will own), but I just dont believe in the 6.5s.

17. swamp ratt

swamp ratt Registered Member

SORRRY ABOUT THAT WHAT I MEANT WAS THE INJECTOR PUMP ON THE COMPUTER CONTROLLED MODELS. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif