Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which is the better tire the tsl/thornbird or the tsl/radial overall?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by James670X, Jan 20, 2003.

1. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Which is the better tire overall the Super Swamper TSL/Radial or the Interco TSL/Thornbird as far as snow, ice, rocky terrain, mud, street manners, etc...
    These tires are going on a stock 92 S10 4x4 that I drive daily to school and wheel on the weekends with.
    Any feedback will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

TSL's are better.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

From everything that I've ever heard about the Thornbirds, they aren't a whole lot better than a street tire in off road conditions. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Neither of those tires is gonna do great on ice. Something like the BFG All-Terrains or the Pro-Comp AT's will do better, due to the number of biting edges available. Mud tires will do OK in loose snow, as they can dig through it well. But once it's packed and icy, those large lugs just tend to slide. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

My brother and I just put an 8.5" lift and 33x12.5 TSL radials on his 2000 Tacoma TRD and they aren't much louder then the BFG Mud KM's he had and they weren't loud to begin with. We went wheelin' on Sunday and they performed great. He went through a slimy clay mud hole that came to the top of his rims and it chugged on through without hesitation because tread clogging is non-existent.

Evan

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I know a few folks arond here who have Thornbirds and the trick to making them work well off road is to air them down, way, way down. One kid I helped on a run this fall had a set of 31x10.50x15s on an Isuzu Trooper. I knew they had stiff sidewalls, but this set was rated at load range D. That's a 6 ply rating on the sidewalls! In order for these things to work right the side lugs have to be able to get a good bite. This kid was stuck in the middle of a curve on a fairly steep hill where the loam had been spun off from the people running the trail before him and all he had to work with was packed clay. I aired him down to 3psi in front and 2psi in the rear. I told him to use the gas and brake like he was driving a stick shift. Not only was he able to get going the rest of the way up the trail with a 100 megawatt smile on his face, but he didn't get stuck for the rest of the run. I did warn him about trying to turn sharp when running his tires with so little air in them, unless he wanted to be re-mounting his tire on the rim in the middle of the woods. I can't tell you anything about them on the street, but when aired down so that the side lugs can get a good bite, they seem to work well off-road.

6. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i had 33 thornbirds on my k5 for about a week. in that time i went off road 3 times and they are pretty in the mud. (i had air them down to 10psi) the only problem is they are LOUD very LOUD on the road. if your driving them daily it will be ruff and loud. i would suggest the TSL's because they're about the same price range and not near as loud. i sold mine and now have 35 BFG mud-terrains

My K-5

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

tsl all the way. I currently have Thornbirds and they ride rough, are louder than my 44" tsl's and have less bite off road.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Thornbirds aka Stuckbirds. I have helped pull out a couple rigs running these tires. They suck.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think those Thornbirds are a show tire. They dont seem to work to well in the real world. the swampers are tried and proven.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id say tsl radials just because the tread pattern looks a lot more usefull on the them than the thornbirds.thornbirds look more like a street tire to me.