Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which light should blink?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i am having problems w. my blinkers, when i turn them on, they stay on for 2 seconds [i timed it] then they blink then they stay on for 2 more seconds
    it does this on both sides. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    i amthingking maybe i have a buld out but i am not sure /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, so i am wondering which of the bulbs in the rear tail light should blink when i have my blinkers on.
    if its not that, does anyone else have an idea?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the blinker unit it self, and there like 3 bucks at your local parts store, and they plug in like a fuse
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just one large bulb (the two filament one) in the rear should blink, and in the front, the side markers and the two parking lights should blink. You can put on your hazards and walk around comparing....it would be really odd for the same two bulb locations on opposite sides to burn out at the same time.

Mine started a wacky "fast blink, slow blink" cycle randomly, so I swapped the blinker itself out, and that solved my problem.

But first make sure you don't have any bulb issues.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Most flashers are thermal, which means they work off heat. It may be taking it too long to heat up and kick out. Try replacing the flasher, they dont cost that much.

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

how do you change the "blinker itself" where and what is that, and what is involved to change it
    im all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's (typically) a round aluminum colored piece plugged into your fuse panel. Lower right corner as I recall, as you look at the fuse panel. Pull it straight out, (maybe rock it a little to make it come out easier) and replace the same way.

very simple.