Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which locker for front D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Looking for a little feedback on which selectable locker for my D60. I am looking at either an ARB or E-locker. Right now I prefer the E-locker, but have not heard much on its reliability versus the ARB. I like the lower cost and ease of no air lines to run, but the E-locker is much more limited in availability.

After wheeling Moab from 1-9 Oct, I have discounted a Detroit. It worked great in the front of my friends rig, but once the rain started, the pushing, and reduced turn radius really showed up. The multi-point turns increased exponentially! I think the extra $$ is worth the selectable up front.

Does anyone have some feedback to help me?

2. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

After having an electic(auburn ected) in my tahoe, i will never go with an electric locker again. Oftenly, it wouldnt want to engage, sometimes it wouldnt engage. Usually i just add to give it some juice and it would kick in. When it did kick in, it did work great but im not putting an electric on my d60. I was thinking about the lock right, but i still have a month or so before i place my order for mine.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I went with a spool up front in my D60. The traction is incredible and I can turn the wheel with my hydro assist ram BUT the tires do want to push straight so turning radius is affected (even though I can physically turn the wheel). I'd go detroit or ARB if I had the money next time. Money was why I went spool in the first place just so I'm clear on why I chose it.

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hi,

I had the exact question in mind for my D60 up front. I use my rig as a DD and for the MUD. Anthony at Reider Racing helped me decide between a True Trac and a Power-Lok. The True Trac is a limited slip application which uses internal gears and applies an 80/20 bias to the front tires. Good for MUD, rocks and streetability. The problem came in with my motor. I am having a 383 stroker dropped in rated at about 490 HP and 400 ft/lbs torque. When I told Anthony this he recommended the Power-Lok over the True Trac because it works off clutch packs vs internal gears of the True Trac. Anthony says that the clutch packs will hold up better to the torquiness that the 383 will put out. He states that it is the closest thing to a Detroit Locker you can get without it being a Detroit, and best thing, my concerns about turnability, even in adverse weather, ie, snow/ice/rain, would not be affected. The Power-Lok, Anthony claims, will release for turns.

So, I would suggest you speak with Anthony at Reider Racing about your situation even for GP. You will gain a great education. I will report how my Power-Lok works out, but I'm sure some here will beat me to the punch.

Just my .03 at the current rate of inflation. :D

Manny

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I would go ARB. I have ran it for a while in the front of mine and really like it. It's nice to have an open front end for the street or trail. Then have a spool when you need it for extreme off camber climbs.

I would not go with a Power Lock. I replaced mine with the ARB. The Power Lock is very aggressive limited SLIP. It has terrible road manners, even with hydraulic assist. And when you need it the most on climbs with a tire in the air, the tire with the least resistance will spin. That is my experience anyway...

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have an ARB for my D60. I cant say how I like it yet because I still havent worked out all the compressor lines and wires yet, but I thought the ARB would be the best all around selectable locker. I got one for the 14BFF too. I'll be finishing it off in a few weeks or so, and I'll let everyone know how it works out.

BTW, if you do decide on the ARB, be careful with the copper lines that you route to the carrier. I broke one on installation which delayed me a week.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great info. I definitely want a locker, so thats why my choices are such. You can't argue with ARB's durability, but I have seen problems with lines and seals. I really haven't heard much about the E-locker, but its probably because not many people run them.

ARB?

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My front is welded and I regret it every time I go out.

I hope to get selectable up front here soon too so I await further responses :D

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got detroit, and its great cuz i have assist. otherwise id get an arb.

10. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Detroit in my front 60 and I would never put anything else in there. If your hubs are locked and your in 2wheel you can turn fine. If your not on the pedal you can turn. ARB's are great lockers....just expensive and not as reliable as a detroit. ...My 2cents.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nate (Barbastard) runs an E-Locker and loves it.

I have made up my mind to run one as well....no air line BS (since I don't have onboard air anyway) and the selectability between open-diff and completely locked-up from the drivers seat is the shizzle...

Detroits and spools up front are a tradeoff between function/cost and flexibility on the trail. Yes they are cheap and strong, but there WILL be situations where you can't maneuver the way you want because you've got the front wheels fighting each other....

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

detroit here... also locking hubs.. dont know it is there when on the road

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm just more comfortable with electricity than I am with o-rings and compression fittings..... :D

14. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I was just at BB06 with 37's crossover and NO hydro asssist in the rain and big descents with no problems.

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well I havent had any issues while trying to turn and locked in the front...
    and I have no hydro assist...

only movie I have showing me turning ... backing up but locked and in 4wd....
    http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/214996/fullsize/xoversteer.wmv

16. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

This is exactly the reason I have decided against a detroit. Wheeled from 1-9 Oct at Moab in the front of a friends rig. On dry it was fine, but when the rain started, the front pushed everywhere. Being wide already, I don't need to make handling worse.

BTW, I'm not afraid of the air lines on the ARB, but rather wanted to compare it to the E-locker. Still haven't heard much about their performace. The ARB has a much longer list of users. To be fair, all the ARB problems that I have seen first hand, were easily fixed ~ mostly leaky lines.

17. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am a big fan of a selectable locker in the front and a autolocker (Detroit) in the rear.

The selectability is great, I tend to do a bunch of stuff with the front unlocked, Sometimes I need to unlock the front to get the tires to stay planted in one postion.
    I like ARBs. They are reliable, the air side of them doesn't seem to be of issue. The only problems I have had and seen are electrical and only once have I had to back feed the arb system with a CO2 tank.

I have not seen nor heard good things about the E lockers but they are also somewhat new and not many people have them.

I vote ARB