Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which locking hub should i go with???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jul 27, 2005.

?

which locking hubs to go with

1. warn

83.0%
  2. procomp

0.7%
  3. mile marker

10.5%
  4. super winch

5.8%
  1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

was thinking about goin with the pro comps because there cheap but havnt heard anything good out there about them. i went to 4wp's site and all they had was warn and procomp. does anybody know who sells mile marker and super winch? is there anybody running the pro comps that wheels there truck hard? how bout mile marker, super winch?

2. down4thakrown

i also did a search and nobody said anything about the procomp's. i seen mile marker on there too but i went to 4wp's site and they didnt list any mile marker or super winch hubs. anybody know a place with good prices that sells these items?

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

IMO stay away from the Pro Comps. I just replaced a pair of those on my K5 because they were leaking, and the housing was cracked. Also, on both of them the housing was cracked or broken where the 6 allen head screws hold it on. They weren't overtightened either. After looking at them closely you can tell they are just cheap pot metal and very thin.

I went with the Warn Premiums (20990), got a brand new pair off Ebay for only $69 and would highly recommend them.. MUCH better quality than the Pro Comp hubs.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran superwinch hubs on my 3/4 ton 10bolt and never had a problem with em put them hard into some rocks a couple of times too. I will probably get superwinch or warns for my 60

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The procomps are rebadged milemarkers. Decent, but not the best IMO. I would just pony up for warns. As for where to get what in phoenix at least, 4wheelers supply -> warns, fly-n-hi -> superwinch, 4WPW -> procomp.

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

WARN premium.

The first time they break, and you get some more for free bc of the lifetime warranty, you'll thank me.

I went through some no name, MM, then some regular Warns before I learned this. Good luck, and don't base everything on pprice ;)

7. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Getting WARN PREMIUMS is a wasn't of money IMO

Check the website, moth PREMIUMS and Standard come with a 1 year waranty

They are 90% exactly the same thing. The internals are the same, same part numbers, same casting numbers etc...exactly

The out side it the only diference, the stanards are easier to turn and also only need to turn 90*. This is not a stregth issue and does not effect the stregth of the unit...its simply cosmetic

Once again, the is no diference between warn std and warn premium hubs besides the external look. How do i know, i have both and compared the two....im using the Standards and the premiums are sitting on my desk right now

8. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

:D warn is what I have on my truck...love em :D

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ive got 1979 gmc stock 1 ton Duramax hubs... fricken huge ... turn the entire outter :crazy:

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Spicers are great & probably the strongest, BUT they are pain to put together and if seals are bad (things get mucked up inside) the coilspring they use will not push the cog into the splines. Of course, this means 4WD no workey unless you take them apart. Kind of a pain on the trail BTDT x2. I've switched to Warn, mostly because I got a deal on them and I had them on my old '78 and they worked fine. A buddy of mine ran MM for years w/o any issues either.

11. down4thakrown

did you get the lifetime warranty with those?

12. kotton

kotton Registered Member

i just got the warn premiums for my 10 bolt yesterday and they look sturdy. Mine came with a liftime warranty, I think both the warns do.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Warn by far . I had Superwinch , but the damn bolts are too small of an allen head and stripped easily .

My Warns come off easy , work everytime , and even after scraping one across a big rock , so you can't read where it says lock or free , it still turns fine :D

14. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Superwinch are junk. I just took mine out. Used them once and blew one apart. Internals are PLASTIC!! And the allen head screws kept backing out.

A spare Milemarker set I hade wasn't much better in construction.

By the way this is with only 35's & a 10 bolt. I'm going with Warn Premium for my 60.

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've only bought Warn's for literally everything I've owned. I've had a few trucks with other brands but replaced them for Warn's.

Do it right once and leave it there.

16. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

If I buy warns for my D60, will the 3/4 ton ones work, or do I need the expensive 1 ton ones? ( I am sure I already know the answer LOL)

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You have to have 1 ton for 1 ton axles. 3/4 and 1/2 are the same.

john

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that is also why they are more expensive...

however back in 1990 I went to go buy locking hubs for my 3/4 ton.. $65 and took them home... this is before the internet was like it is... well they turned out to be d60 hubs... and I had a d44.... :doah:

19. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Like has been said they have a lifetime warrently, I just walked into my local 4wheel parts wholesalers and gave him my busted warn premium, and he handed me a brand new one, no questions / paperwork or anything. And the reason I went from standard Warn to warn premium is because I MELTED the plastic outer part of the warn standard on a cross country trip when the hub got extremely hot...that would not have happened with a warn premium. ;)

20. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am running a set of MileMarker Premium hubs on my 1991 V3500. I bought them from Summit Racing for $160 with shipping and every thing. They are pretty good, but a set of Warn Premiums are a little better.