Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which Locking Hubs are best

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigCUCV, Jul 27, 2003.

1. BigCUCV

BigCUCV Registered Member

Hi guys,
    its time to get some new Locking Hubs cause the plastic dial on my drivers side Hub is broken so that I need pliers to en-/disengage them
    I want to get StainlessSteel Hubs, but which ones are the best?
    pro-comp, Warn, Superwinch, mile-marker??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'll cast my vote for Warn premiums.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

warns with the black plastic dial..

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Spicer hubs are far superior to any aftermarket hub. if you can find them.

the 2nd best, and readily availible hub is Warn Permiums.

5. Confedneck

i know of some spicers from a 10 bolt..what are those worth?
    sorry to jack..

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i really like the factory warn style hubs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMHO the automatic ones rock. Don't have to get out in the mud...They are almost as good as pushbutton... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Warn Premiums

8. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

ive got superwinch locking hubs and havent had any troubles.

-Doc

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I kind of like my plain-jane Warn hubs. They aren't like the Premiums I've run across which require more than the 90° mine does. Plus, I don't have to drive forward and backwards to get them to engage and disengage.

However, I do like the superior sealing and external strength of them. Mine don't seal worth beans and are a little sloppy on the hub. The plastic is pretty cheap and I'm afraid in the wintertime when it is really cold out I'm going to break 'em. I'm sure a small log would tear it apart which is why I carry a spare.

I don't know how strong they are internally as I haven't broken one. In fact, I've never seen one broken internally in my life. All the times I've seen them broken is the external part that hangs out itching to get knocked off.

I've heard Mile Marker hubs are junk. This is just what I've heard. I've had no experience with them so take it as hear-say.

I'd probably buy another standard set and keep your old good one as a spare. That's what I did. I think I might try the premiums next time though.

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i really think the Warn 1/2 ton prems are crap , i put the old chome selectro back on mine . these are the only 2 sets of hubs ive ever dealt with .

11. Confedneck

i have MM on mine...and its only seen very light wheeling and some mud, but they stay engaged and havent broken yet...the warn SUPER PREMIUMS are the all metal ones that take forever and a day to turn and like to cut your fingers, they suck..

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Cast my vote for the warn premiums...
    Most people I know go w/ either warn premiums or mile marker premiums. I do know of a few people who don't buy off on on the "premium" crap and strictly buy the standard stuff with no problems....
    As far as the warn being harder to turn... they are the most difficult to turn, but once the are broke in they aren't too bad.... They just seem like the best quality... solid, w/ no cheesy plastic to break....

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they are a super thin stainless shell filled with pot metal
    internally identical to the standard warns (at least in a 60)
    MM stuff looked to be made of better material
    my next set will be MM
    only reason I still have warn is they sent me warrantee replacements

14. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have MM premium stainless with the metal dial. This is the second truck i've used them on, and I have yet to have a problem. I do make sure they are lubed when I repack the wheel bearings. Something you should do no matter what brand you run.

15. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree that spicers are best and second to that are Warn Prems. Stay far away from milemarker and selectro

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have the MM premiums with the metal dial. They have held up well to all the abuse I have thrown at 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Warn V.S. Mile Marker
    This is a pretty good review. I use personally use the Warn 1/2 ton premium hubs on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My first hubs were the plain Jane Warn type and they lasted about one year, then I bought Mile Marker premium hubs and they broke the second time I used them. I replaced the MM hubs with Warn Premium hubs and i haven't had any trouble since. Warn all the way for me!

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My brother has Mile Markers and has had no problems whatsoever. I saw a comparison (maybe it was on here) of the warn vs. milemarker, and neither one won. Both were quality and worked very well. In my opinion, either way you'll get a good hub.
    -Harrison

20. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im with ZAKK. I think the OE spicers are the best, after that, Warn Premiums. I've broken about 4 Warn Half-Tons.