Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which manufacturer should I use for my lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Jun 16, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am wondering which manufacturer to use for my lift? I am planning either a 4 or 6 inch lift. I see alot of good responses lately from people that are using BDS. I am thinking of doing a shackle flip, but if I go with a 6" lift then I will still need to buy springs too. I plan on running 35's, so 6" seems the way to go. Should I scratch the shackle flip idea and just get 6' springs front and rear? What are the major benifits of a shaclke flip anyway? Also with the 6" lift what other modifications will I need to make so everyting is perfect? My truck is an 87 Jimmy Sierra Classic with dual shocks up front and a 700r4/208 combo. Thanks, Pete.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Springs are easier to swap in than a shackle flip. There could be an articulation issue? My Rough Country lift is rough but tracks great when driving. Guess you can't have it both ways. I'm going to put Semi air seats in the front eventually to save my back. I have nitrogen shocks also. That could be an issue. The liquid ones should ride nicer. I would be willing to bet most of the lift springs come from the same places anyways like shocks. Munroe or Gabriel.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you know I did the BDS springs, and they give a really nice ride. I got no complaints, but the reason I did it is because my mechanic offered his shop and services. I didn't want to add the extra time considering how nice he was to help me.

If I was doing it exactly like I wanted I get NEW springs for the back factory height w/ the teflon pads etc. and the shacle flip.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Solo and I did our BDS lifts at just about the exact same time [​IMG] He went 4" and I went 6". Both of us love the BDS ride on and offroad. Superlift superrides and Skyjacker softrides are also good IMO. You can run 35's on 4" of lift pretty easy... just some minor fender cutting and it looks great IMO. BlazinOR's rig is a nice example of this and can be seen on the rti ramp post. I just posted the main differences between the 4" and 6" lift (Time and $$$) in the post "Lifts". Sometimes BDS can be harder to find at a good price... although solo actually bought his lift from the same place I did here in MN and they had it drop shipped from BDS to him in WY.

I'm not a flex and shakle flip guy... too much work and $$ IMO. I'm not a real flex guy or rockcrawler though... look at what kinda offroading you're gonna do. I'd go springs all around w/ either an extra inch in the rear spring or a ORD zero rate add a leaf to accomidate the "Saggy butt" syndrome.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

The lifts that I'm familiar with are Superlift, Skyjacker, BDS, and Pro Comp. I too had an '87 Jimmy and decided to go with 6" to run 35-15.50-15 SX's and it did great. I wanted to get a Superlift, but ended up having to settle for the Pro Comp. I had no complaints about the Pro Comp. It rode nice and I also had the quad set-up up front too. As for things working right, you might want to do a t-case drop and maybe drop some shims in the rear. On my Jimmy, I had the driveshaft lengthened and nothing else. It worked fine. If I were you, I'd try to get all new springs. If you are going to run something like BFG's which are only 12.50's, then I'd just go with a 4". I have an 8" Skyjacker on my Blazer now with 4 new springs. I like the new rear springs a lot better. One more thing, you might want to get an add-a-leaf so the truck will sit level. If you have any questions about your lift, feel free to e-mail me at blzr4x4ngkid@aol.com. See ya!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man I do love the lift, but I gotta tell ya that there is NO fender rubbing so far with a 4" BDS lift and 35's!!

Maybe as things settle a bit more (only been a couple weeks) and as I get my articulation going a little better with the ford shock towers etc. I'll need to do a little trimming, but so far now trimming required.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have Tuff Country and really like it. I have the EZ ride, and I think if I did it again, i would get the HD instead, and maybe a 4" for the back, 3" for the front...someday, I'll put some 1" blocks in the rear, too lazy now though.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>