Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which master cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Dec 31, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey there, i jus converted from 1/2ton to 1ton with rear disc's. ive my 2wd box taped for the hydro assist but i got a problem. the fittings are different. the lines ive got from the factory are o-ring style, while the kind on the box are jus double flare (older style). i was going to re-flare the pressure line, but after reading alot of posts bought 1 ton brakes, 1/2 ton master cylinder isnt gonna cut it with the bigger brakes. the older double flare lines wont bolt into the current master cylinder, so will an older 1 ton master cylinder bolt in without modification and allow me to fun the double flare lines?

sorry if thats hard to follow. thanks a bunch

2. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

As far as the P.S. goes, I went to my local NAPA store and bought a newer style high pressure hose and one older style hose. Had them cut both of the ends off that i needed and they made me a hydraulic hose with compression fittings at both ends and made me a new H.P. line. With the end i needed for the pump at one end and the end i needed for the box at the other. Hope that is some help. And your master cylinder question, im running 1 tons on a 1/2 chassis, with the stock master cylinder without any noticable issues, and the brakes work quite well.

3. muddybuddy

well ive got 35's on my rig now, and when i had 1/2tons and 35's they brakes werent anything to write home about. im planning on eventually running 40's and this is my dd so i want the best brakes i can get. i just went out and ordered a re-man '78 1-ton master (JB8 non hydro-boost) which will be in stock on monday and the older style hoses so hopefully that will work. if so, then my rig should be running monday :-)

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I had a similar hose made when I put a hydra-boost in my 78'. The problem is if the hose goes, you may have an issue getting a new one at the local parts store. I would get the right steering box for your hoses or have a spare made up to take on the trail. I had a battery break mount and land on my steering hoses and cut through. Aside from the small fire that caused no damage, I lucked out that it was the return line with out the special custom hose. But it could have been the other hose. I had a hard enough time finding that hose at napa auto parts let alone a custom one. Plus the more parts you have that are the same as your other buddies on the trail, the more parts you can split up amongst you as spares to carry.

5. muddybuddy

well i went up to get the hoses, and according to the computer at advance auto, all JB8 masters have hydro-boost, so i cancled the order and got a JB7 (which they had in stock) so now i dont have to worry about the hydro-boost issue.