Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which MSD box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 2, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey all, Im considering one of the MSD boxes, which one should I get. Well first of all I have so far gotten no response from MSD about which of their boxes can be used w/ my distributor, if any can that is. I have distributor pn #8366. Im looking for an ignition that has a rev limiter (to keep me from gettin too dang stupid). So far it is down between the 6AL pn6420 or the MSD6-Offroad pn6470 w/ the offroad rev control pn8769. The only thing I dont like about the 6AL is that it isnt sealed like the offroad one. Dislikes of the offroad are PRICE! and the fact it is 2 boxes w/ the rev control. Also the offroad one says [ QUOTE ]
    The MSD 6-Offroad Ignition Control will provide your engine the spark power it needs to get you over, through, under and around any obstacles you encounter. From an idle to 3,000 rpm the MSD produces multiple sparks rather than just a single spark which is a great benefit when you’re crawling over rocks or creeping up steep grades. This spark series lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation and ensures complete combustion of the fuel mixture producing quick throttle response and a smooth idle.
    To battle the harsh off-road elements, the 6-Offroad is completely potted with an epoxy compound called Ciba™. This material encases the circuits creating a water and vibration proof ignition. Weathertight connectors are also installed to provide positive locking and water resistant electrical connections.
    The 6-Offroad will install to virtually any vehicle with a 12 volt electrical system and a distributor. It will connect to points, amplifiers or magnetic pickups on 4, 6 or 8-cylinder engines.

MSD 6-Offroad Ignition Control
    PN 6470

NOTE: The MSD 6-Offroad Ignition Control features a special connector that plugs directly into an external rev limiter, the Offroad Rev Control, PN 8769.

[/ QUOTE ] Is that all just a buncha crap or has someone used one and can actually tell a diff over a normal box? Thanks. Also if anyone has had good dealings w/ a different box (number or brand) that will work w/ my distributor(thats the brand issue there) post it up.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6-Digital or 6AL

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a 6AL. I ran the 6 offroad for 3 years. I had one go out that MSD replaced. The word was the underhood heat, AZ heat, and the fully potted box don't mix well. My second one has went for 2 years no problem. I would just get the 6AL so you have the rev limiter, and then mount it in a water resistent area that is somewhat cool. Under dash or something.

harley

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Crane HI-6 has the rev limiter built-in and is roughly the same price as the the std MSD 6.
    Have read of 6-OR's failing under heat. Would personally go with the Marine version of either b4 the OR.

5. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

I've got the Crane HI-6 in my blazer, it works great. It is easy to change the rev limiter setting. Just a turn of a small screw driver and you are set. No changing RPM modules. I have it mounted in the cab and havn't had a problem.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

thanks guys what I needed to hear.