Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which one of the Extreme 4x4 Cams should I get?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

2. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

What small block are you planning to stuff it into? (they made them anywhere from 265-400 cid stock ya know) What gears you got? Whats your tire size? What RPM does the engine spend most of its time at?

Ooops.. I meant what big block are you planning on stuffing it into? My bad... And I should know what Comp part #'s those were

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Depends on how you want to use your truck. For rocks and stuff I'd take number one. Should have a ton of torque down low with crisp throttle response and a smooth idle. Your third link didn't work, but I'm guessing the cam's get more agressive as the links progress. I'd use a more agressive cam with mud in mind...you'll want some more top end. It'll also have a slightly choppy idle and less low end snap.

Rene

4. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Do you think there is any value in going middle of the road for a multipurpose truck that will see mud, rocks, and trails? Or just go with #1? I am considering a cam swap sometime, and since I've never done any sort of comparison I don't really know what #1 vs #2 would feel or drive like.
    andy

andy

5. Zeus33rd

It's goin into a 402 big block. 3.73's, 33's, (for now, 38.5's later)465/203 Most of the time no higer than 4500 RPM's Not sure why the 3rd link won't work, but Rene is correct, it is the most aggressive of the 3 available Extreme 4x4 cams for the big blocks. Also talkin with 4x4High on the same subject....From what he said and what Rene said, Perhaps I'll go with the the middle one....I do a bit of both, rocks and mud. Good compromise I would think. Either the middle or the first one.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd still go with number one unless you do mostly mud. You'll like the low end snap on the street and the good manners in the rocks and any BBC should do quite fine in the mud. Even the first cam should pull hard to 5000 RPM.

Rene

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have a Comp Cams 4X4 Xtreme in my 388. I would recommend calling Comp's tech dept and let them recommend the cam for your application. They will ask you all of the specs about your rig and go from there. I used the cam they recommended and am very happy with power, driveabilty and performance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I did one of their "Truck 4x4" cams in my rebuild.....I'd have to look up the part number on it, but now that my timing is correct it sure feels NICE....good meaty bottom end even with a heavy truck and 4.10s/38's"

9. Zeus33rd

Alot of good info here. Thanks for the opinions guys. What Rene says does make sense....Hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

If it's any consolation, I'm putting #1 in my 396. It seems to slide into power a bit more easily. I have a buddy who put the same cam in his Jeep 360 & he loves it. However, his is in a CJ7 & mine's goinginto a Burb. Just my thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have to say #1 as well. I have been very pleased with the comparable xtreme 4x4 cam in my 383. With big tires and offroad use, you will almost always be using more of the low end than the higher end. Only exception would be pure mud running. I think it would be the best cam for your application.