Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which ones are better?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Apr 7, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am going to do the TPI swap, I am curious which heads I would want to use? If I use the (305)heads from an 88' trans am, I wont have to drill the manifolds. Are there any benifits are these heads? Are they better or worst than my 87'K5 (350) heads? I heard a rumor I am not sure if it is true but the trans am heads have roller rockers? Does any one know this for sure?? Thanks

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

You need to do alot more research. The heads is where you can see the most horsepower gains on a rebuild. I know some guys that like to use 305 heads on a 350 so that the compression ratio is increased. Problem is that there are different combustion chamber sizes for both the 350 and the 305. Some are for high performance and some for economy. You'll need the get the casting numbers off the heads and research on the net (try chevymania.com for starters) as well as talk to a rebutable engine rebuilder. High compression ratio can be excellent for horsepower, but I don't know how much your TBI can handle, also you could end up having to buy high octane fuel.

good luck

the Goose