Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which order is best

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Apr 7, 2000.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I know that we all talked about mods to our vehicles but one thing that i was wondering, now that i'm actually getting close to doing some mechnical upgrades, is what is best to do first for some one looking to upgrade axles, lockers, 4 inch suspension lift, front and rear grill, for starters, which projects should be done first or does it matter at all?

2. Denvermitch

Denvermitch Registered Member

Definately Axle and lockers last. No sense in going to a 14bolt on a stock truck because you will need to buy new wheels/tires.

By the way, what are you referencing by the rear grill?

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  4. Denvermitch

Denvermitch Registered Member

NAh, who needs a Coleman, I cook my food on the exhaust manifold ;-)

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Why don't you spend the 100 bucks with Offroad Design and get a steering box frame brace before anything else. With a lift and even just slightly bigger tires, you are way more prone to cracking your frame.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Yeah that Road-Armor site has some great stuff. Talk about an urban-assault vehicle [​IMG] Just a little pricey though. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Here would be the best situation I can think of for you. The first thing I'd suggest is investing in some recovery points. I used a ClassIII with a extra trailer hitch receiver. I didn't put a ball in it, and got a clevis for a point to attach the strap. So, I'd suggest a set of recovery points for the truck. Even if you did have lockers, lift, tires and all that good stuff, if you get stuck, you will destroy something getting it out. Trust me. I have a friend right now with a 86 Jimmy that is in that situation. You should see the trailer hitch attached to the rear bumper. Next I'd suggest a set of springs & quality bushings (greasable if you can afford it) and shackle flip for the rear. You can either get it at ORD or read either Depdog's information, or my information. Its listed on my site. Next would be tires. YOur truck will look fine with a 4" lift and stock tires (short period of time...) You may beable to pick up some used tires for inexpensive. If that is the case, you may want to get a larger lift and save for larger tires. Next would be dependability stuff. You could get a upgraded rear axle, and aftermarket axleshafts for the front. You would also want to think about straps, winch, chains and all that good stuff.

This is what I'd suggest. I'm sure that everybody has a different opnion about what would be the best idea.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info i was just wanting to make sure that i did not do something totally wrong by starting at the wrong point i've been working on my interior and everything is mechnically sound so it looked like it was time to start considering next setps and no one ever seemed to tell the story of their upgrades from the beging and i wanted to aviod any obvious mistakes.

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

73 K5 and Corey have good points, but if it were me I would spend my first $200 on the steering box frame strengthener and a set of swaybar disconnects.
    now I am not sure what size tires you plan to run but 33's work great with a 2.5" lift but if you go with a 4" lift you only need to buy front springs because the rear shackle flip will let you keep the stock springs for more flex and raise you 4"
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]