Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which plugs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jan 10, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and i am going to be doing a tune up soon and was wondering what plugs you guys have been running and how you liked them, thanks.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A-C Delcos always work for me. I also use Autolite now and then. I like them both.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i used regulr bosch they work good......i guese

hola

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ac Delco Rapid fires, Best plug for the money

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use Champion Truck plugs in my Jimmy, and my Dad had me put them into his 2 other trucks because I liked them, and they worked well.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like my split-fires.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

7. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I agree with slider, I've used alot of different plugs and the AC Delco Rapid Fires work great on higher mileage engines(100,000 +)

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

go with the AC Delcos. for non efi use the regular ones. for efi i heard the platnium ones make a diff.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

9. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

delco R45-T or R45T-S depending on your prefered gap and how hot or cold you want to run it.

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"

10. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Im running some autolite platnium plugs on my motor and i havent had any problems with them. $2 a plug aint bad wither compared to the $5 for the rapidfires

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

11. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>I was completely surprised to hear what the "experts" had to say about spark plugs.

</font color=blue><font color=green>I asked 14 GM/Chevy (my IQ goes down too far when I get near the F**D's) hill climb racers what plugs they run.
    Every one of them said that they used the cheapest AC Delco plugs available.

</font color=green><font color=red>I asked about RapidFire's, Bosch (especially those ultra-expensive platinum quad-tips), other manufacturer's platinum tipped plugs, split-fire tips, etc, and got the same response; "You're throwing away your money".
    </font color=red><font color=orange>
    Their ONLY advice was to index the plugs.

Indexing is where you mark the tip of the plug to show which direction the electrode tip is pointing, then screw the plug in to see where the electrode tip ends up pointing. You then add spark plug shims until the electrode points directly into the "squish" chamber.
    Spark plug indexing shim kits are available at just about all auto parts shops.</font color=orange>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I asked a Checker parts buy about the Bosch 4 tip plugs, and he told me that every set he sold for a SBC came back fouled. Not to mention they are really expensive.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

13. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

AC Delco R45T is the best for a stock motor even with a few modifications. If you do a ignition or intake\fuel upgrade or add a cam or some more serious modifications, go to a R44TS to be cooler and more power. Indexing plugs is only for serious racing engines and people with a complex about indexing. It has very little additional power effect on street or our 4x4 off road engines at all. Indexing is a more direct path from valve to plug and shorter spark traveling distance so there is no wasted compressed o2 &amp; gas supposedly. It is a good theory, but only if racing or you want to go thru the headaches of doing it. Again, not necessary on non-racers.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2