Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Plugs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowlevell, Oct 6, 2000.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering which plugs you guys use.I personally like Bosch Platinum.I am currently running ac delco's and don't like them.Gonna switch back to the Bosch this weekend.Later....

One From None

2. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I use those really expensive AC Delco ones. I forget what they are called but they work awesome. I like to put parts on my truck that belong on it. AC Delco=GM and GM kicks ass.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sorry. In many cases, AC Delco = Delphi and Delphi isn't part of GM anymore, but GM does still own the brand name.

I run Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, which hardly even look like a spark plug. They gave me throttle response and mileage. They are the best plug that I have ever used, which is probably because they are the most expensive plug that I have ever used.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Bosch Platinum, single-tip (not that stupid +4).
    Cheap and good.
    I ran AC Delco cheapies for a while, but they fouled more than the platinums do.
    -- Mike

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Has anybody actually measured any difference in mileage or performance with different plugs. We all put stuff on our trucks and we like to think it improves them, but we don't really know until we do a test. Any numbers, anybody.

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run NGK plugs as they put up better with the mix of highway driving towing and hours of idling on trails better than any yet that I have found. The Delco plugs dont like my truck and I dont like them. the 4 electrode thing and the split fire things are just not worth it!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Man I swear every other parts store but autozone sucks, Pep Boys said they don't make bosch +4 platinum plugs for 88 blazer full size, advanced auto said they only were for 305 for an 88 (which the 305 wasn't an option for the 4wd full size). Both Pep Boys and Advanced auto have the wrong oil filter specified for the 88 full size 4wd, it is half the size of the correct one, so needless to say I would'nt buy anything for my blazer from anywhere else but autozone. I like my Bosch +4 platinums btw, noticed a bit more power but it seems to burn better because I get no smoke from my exhaust now.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Tom has asked a great question. I have posed this very question to several mechanics I know. In general it was their opinion that if the engine is in a stock configuration you should retain stock parts, especially on the newer EFI, and TBI engines. High dollar plugs, wires, distributors, generally are not worth what you pay for them, and if not carefully selected, they can cause problems. The return is generally not worth the investment. I am sure that there those that will disagree about this, so, what I am saying here is to be taken as opinion.

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Yea the high doller plugs and wires do make your motor run better when installed but no better than new stock ones would! I run what I do to as a compromise to make the aftermarket TBI and aftermarket DIS systems work. Even then its the stock plug for a blazer just a 92 blazer that has TBI and DIS.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Bosh Platinums here too, I have never had a problem with them so when I have someting that has allways worked then I will stick with it. Duno if switching to a more expensive plug really makes a diff or not???

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com