Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which power booster to put in a 73 K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LAZYMON, Nov 30, 2003.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My brakes have gotten progressivly worse, so bad I won't even drive it for now. The brake pads and shoes are new and I have bled the brakes, no air found. This leads me to believe my power booster needs replacing. I did a search on this subject and found posts for 1st gen K5's where people replaced with 3/4 ton boosters and now they can stop on a dime. So my question is what upgraded booster will bolt right into the 73?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Have you considered that your master cylinder may be leaky?

Anyway, to replace the vacuum booster you'll need to replace the cylinder to match (they don't cross-fit), so you'll prolly be good.

On my '77 I replaced them with a ~1987 booster/master, which had a considerably larger bore, and damn, even with the camper crap on it, that truck STOPS now. (Course I also put in new calipers, wheel cylinders, all new rubber hoses, and bled the hell out of it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

3. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No leaky. My fluid has never gone down. I'll probably go to the bone yard and see what I can find. I looked at a picture of one from a 73 Suburban and they look like they mount the same except the Suburban is much bigger. More thoughts from others please!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

1/2 ton booster in good shape works more than well enough, my stepdads 82 k10 is all stock and the brakes are extremely easy i bet you could use a single toe to stop the truck, it all depends on condition of braking system

GM truck disc brakes are awesome if parts are in good working order. you should not have to go with bigger parts to have good brakes

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Randy's got a point -- the truck I did the upgrade on is a Chalet, which is a weight abomination from the factory, s0o braking is always interesting. I got stuff for a 1987 12/ ton (truck, Blazer, burb, all the same) as I recall, but I replaced a bunch of stuff at the same time, so it's hard to say if just the master/booster makes it brake better.

My '74 (normal Blazer) has all stock stuff and can stop on a dime (and can, with a little effort on dusty roads or other low traction) lock up all four corners and slide, much to the consternation of my buddy /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A