Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which pump for TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Apr 10, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Converting carb'd 305 to TBI'd 350. I REALLY dont want to drop the tank to install the in-tank pump. So anyone have any advise of which pump to use?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Find a good pump like a Walbro or Bosch. I am running the MSD MPFI pump in my truck. I wouldn't recommend it. To many PSI for you and I don't think it is going to last very long. You are going to have to spend some decent money on a pump to get a good one. Might look into a Holley or Mallory too.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

P.S. you need a pump that will put out about 20 PSI I believe.

Harley

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hell if he's going to end up spending decent money on a pump, he may as well go with a factory style designed for the setup to be used, dropping the tank is not that big of a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I've done it several times now though, not just on mine either. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Factory style intank pumps are more reliable then external pumps also. That is something to think about. The best option is to swap in a whole tank and sender from a TBI K5 so you have a baffled tank and also the intank pump.

With a none baffled tank you must keep your gas level above 1/4 tank to offroad.

If you are worried about dropping the tank you can always just cut a hole in you floor and access the pump from the top inside the truck. That is if you don't mind cutting your floorboard some.

Harley

6. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Go with the factory pump its shouldnt be more than $50 with the new mesh screen for it I had mine out and back in it only took me three hours by myself if you have a friend to help it should be easy enough to do. I had put on two external pumps since the beginning of last summer then put the factory one on in november havent had a problem with it since. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif