Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Q-Jet PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greenblazer-AZ, May 16, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I have to buy a new Q-Jet Carb for my rig. The mechanic says that it won't pass emmissions with the one that's on there.

I have a mostly stock 350 with headers and an Edelbrock intake manifold.

A stock rebuild is about $230.00. The Jet Performance Products Stage 1 rebuilt is about $350.00. The stage 2 is about $360.00. The Edelbrock new Q-Jet is between $400.00 and $460.00 depending which one is right for my rig.

The Blazer is a '74. It must pass the Phoenix emmissions test. I don't mind spending a little more money for extra performance if it's worth it, and will pass emmissions. I wan't to do it right the first time. My tags expired at the end of April so I have to decide quick. Please help!

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Re: Which Q-Jet Please Help

I would stick with the stock - rebuilt carb. If you had several modifications done to your motor I might put a stage 1 or 2 Jet carb on there, but I think you would be best served with a rebuilt stock carb.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Agreed....

Last time my Q-jet puked (~2 yrs ago), $210 at Checker bailed me out. Has run fine since!

Marv

4. Greenblazer-AZ

What do you mean by several modifications? I have an Edelbrock intake and headers. I'm hoping to find out if the performance difference is worthwhile. I know stock will work, but will the extra money be well spent for the extra performance? I wan't to do it once and if I can get more power by spending more I probably will.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Sorry for being pushy, but I need to decide this as soon as possible if the pricey ones are better. TTT

6. porboy

porboy Registered Member

I just fired up my crate motor with edelbrock manifold and headers yesterday with a stock rebuilt q-jet. It is running great. i think it could use a little tweaking though because of the performance mods. I would recommend the rebuilt. If you check out 4 wheel and offfroad they did a couple articles on this subject and their conclusion was that the best deal would be the holley rebuilt(what you get from the chain parts store) as compared to the edelbrock and jet carbs.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Why won't the carb you have now pass? Heck a rebuild kit is only $15 for autozone, Unless there is a cracked casing or worn out parts there is no need to replace the carb. Just needs to be cleaned out. I have NEVER had a carb need anything more that a rebuild kit to get it to pass emmisions. If your mechanic is telling you to buy new cause he's to lazy to rebuild or is incapable of it then find a new memchanic. What you have on their now if it's original to the truck and engine very well may be better able to pass emmisions that a new one that may not be jetted correctly for your cam. As for your upgrades. well within the capacity of the stock carb to handle. Stock Quad will not need to be upgraded till you change cams and only a EXTREME cam will really make a need for a built up Quad.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I ran a Edel Q-Jet years ago and I absolutely loved it on my mildly built 454. However, I don't know if it was worth the extra money, strictly speaking. It sure made a huge difference compared to the POS, worn out Q-Jet that was on there before. Unfortunately, that's the same thing that leads many people to believe that they get significant benefits from running K&N filters after replacing a clogged paper element. When you replace something that is worn out/used up, how do you know exactly how much better part A is than part B would have been? Most people just walk around saying “Wow, than (insert high dollar part of choice) is SO much better than (cheaper previous part)!!! You gotta get one!” My advise, FWIW, is to get the Edel if you can afford/justify the expense. I’m sure it is better than the stock units (no idea about jet). However, if I was just wanting something on a budget that would be dependable and worked well over all with no intentions of going further (performance wise) with the engine, I would just get the cheaper reman Q-Jet. Good luck…

9. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

What I mean by several modifications is I don't think headers and an Edelbrock intake is enough to warrant the extra money for a higher performance carb. I recently built a 400 small block and put it in my truck about a month ago. It makes around 340 horsepower and 450 ft lbs of torque. It has an Edelbrock aluminum intake, Hooker headers, double hump heads, semi-radical cam, 3" dual exhaust, etc. I have my good old trusty stock replacement q-jet on it and it feeds it just fine. I just don't think the difference in price would be worth it for your application.

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Well someone tampered with the carb that was on it and he tried for 5 days to get it to pass to no avail. He charged me nothing, yes you heard right the bill came to $0.00, zip zero nada.

After further research I've found that the difference in a stock rebuilt carb that would work and the Jet Performance carb was small enough($30.00) that It made sense to go with them.

He tried three different places in town including Autozone and said that the only place that could get one would take 2 to 3 weeks to get it and it would only be cheaper by $30.00 and it would still be a stock rebuild.

I'm sure that it will be a big improvement over what I have right now, but I bet it' will come with stickers that will be worth some extra power/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. If their claims are true it should be worth the extra $30.00.

However the check is not yet in the mail, so if someone has some info that would make me change my mind I'll listen.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ahh well then yes it needs to be replace. They may have boogered up the idle screews or warped the housing. You might want to step up to a bit newer like a 80-81. It will bolt right on and have electric choke so you can get rid of the screwy Stove set up. I have a carb off a 79 sitting on the bench awaiting a rebuild and electric choke for my 75. Tired of that freaking choke working slow. Just about won't drive till fully warm. once warm it runs like a champ. It passes emmisions just fine so I'm going to sell it. Might be a month or more before I get around to it though.

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer had 4 Q-jets, including stock rebuilt ones from different shops. It was always a pain to start it in the morning and had problems stalling with the others.

I tossed the old stuff and went with a new Edelbrock Q-jet #1902 and had no problems ever since. I'm very happy I made that decision. Now it starts faster than FI engines even in cold mornings.

13. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I went with the jet stage 2 but I don't have to worry about the smog..
    I like the jet Q-jet it was like night and day with them (old one and new) side by side..
    I still need help in getting it set right but that's because I am a dummy when it comes to carbs.....
    I did notice the power improvment over the one I had on
    That's my 2 cents.....mike

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not sure about the smog issue but The Jet stage 2 is a very good carb.
    here's their site:<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jetchip.com>jetchip.com</a> E mail them or call them. i'm sure they have or can build a carb that suted to your needs.

15. Greenblazer-AZ

I've ordered the carb from them, and I'll send the money order Monday. They assured me that it should pass emmissions and said that I could send it back for adjustment if it doesn't. I just hope they get it to me in the three weeks as promised.

16. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Check these guys out

http://www.recarbco.com

I bought a completely rebuilt carb from them and it runs like a champ!! They warranty it for 1 year, guarantee it'll pass smog, and there prices are KILLER (I paid $129 for mine after the $60 core refund). Since I've put the new one in truck runs a LOT better, better throttle response, and most importantly (to me at least) it keeps running at extremely steep angles whereas the old one would cut out.

good luck and I hope this helps