Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which radiator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Nov 9, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

I need a new radiator BAD. What should I buy? I have an 84 chevy k10, 4x4, auto, with a 350 and 700r4. Stock. I know there are different kinds of radiator. Rows or something?... Can someone help me out?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i always had good luck with 3 core rad. and if you have the rad that is at the top of the core support then it is the tall version. keep it as its 2" more rad to help cool ya down.

3. socal chevy

core? core support?
    You lost me.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you open the cap look in and count the tubes/cores. then you will know how many core rad you have. and core support is the big thing the rad is bolted to along with the fenders and lots of other stuff. some came with a shorter rad and it used a spacer plate to go from the top of core support to go down 2 " to the shorter rad. if you had a/c it should be a tall style where the 2 brackets are on top of rad and come across to the core support flush.

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Auto zone, brand new, 3 core, auto/a/c = $150 or there abouts.
    I should have gotten the manual a/c truck, I have a seperate hayden cooler for my tranny. Fluid in there is about 15K old (needs a change) but still looks just a pink and pretty as new fluid. I've never felt the tubes to hot to touch at all... it's awesome.

GMC Graemlin.

6. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

I have a modine 4 core that I bought from napa for about $200 and it has worked real well for me.My truck used to be a daily driver in the summertime when it was 115 outside and it never even came close to over heating. Keep in mind that some 4 core radiators wont be as skinny as 3 cores so youll have to get wider hold down brackets(I think out of a diesel :dunno: ). I still have to find some for mine.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I bought my 4 core rad from a local shop here (Hawk's Radiator) paid like $175 or so,,, :D

still heated up during summer though, need a shroud :doah:

8. socal chevy

I ordered a aluminum radiator from summit racing. Its a summit radiator 31" x 19" 2-core radiator. My stock radiator thats in there now is 34" x19". Will the new summit radiator work ok?...

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes. all-aluminum radiators are the bomb. Do you run tranny cooling through your stock rad? the cheaper AL rads don't have that option. Only problem I can forsee...

j

10. socal chevy

I believe I do run tranny cooling through my radiator... Hmmm... Now what?

11. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

You could get a BIG aux tranny cooler (stack plate design is preferred over fins) and just use that... summit should carry everything you need for it

12. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

AutoZone carries hayden, they have a large one that's a little bigger than a legal sheet of paper. As long as your not analaly prejudiced against tube rad's over plate rads, it will work perfect for you. Even though the directions say not too, I have my stock cooler completely bypassed. Last 98 degree day we had I drove 2 1/2 hours to my other house in my 350/700/241/3.73/31 and the tubes running to the cooler were mildly warm, would have been a lousy temp for coffie. The stuff in there is about 15K old, and while due for a change, looks like it could have been put in there last weekend. Not only that, but for the people who say it will wreck your tranny in the winter, it shifts just as well during our -20*F cold snaps as it does in 98*F weather.

GMC Graemlin

13. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

trans cooler

You'l have to run a transcooler now. Might wanna do some reaearch b4 you get to involved. I just had a new tranny put in and am currently putting in a trannycooler as secondary. There several options in doing this and youl get several opinions from people. Myself I ran 3core rad. for automatics which have transcooler in it. and am going to run seperate transcooler as secondary for insurance as 700rs are notorios for burning up which mine did. Good luck. :laugh:

14. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Goto auto zone and order a radiator for a 77 chevy. They come up cheaper in the computer at about $99 around here. Same radiator, but for some reason they are cheaper than any other year. :wink1:

15. jram1484

jram1484 Registered Member

4 Core all the way.

I am running an 87' body and it had a four core in it when I got it but is was held in place with bailing wire. Once that one blew out I went back with a 4 core and found some mounts for it at the U pull it yard and it works great. I don't get over 180 on the trails. I found a set of mounts out of an 84/85' suburban diesel. They are about an inch longer than the stock mounts that you have. I say 4 core never here about a motor being too cool. just my .02.

16. socal chevy

So I got the Radiator in today, and just realized that my radiator has the tranny cooler in it! DAM IT!!... So now Im stuck. What do I need to buy to make it work? Can I buy a radiator that has the tranny cooler connections?... OR buy an auxilary cooler?.... Anyone have a link to what they look like?...

Also, my idiot friend started the truck WITHOUT the radiator or the tranny lines connected, and tranny fluid came shooting out... He ran it and drove about 5 feet before I stopped him... Is everything going to be ok with the truck, or did he mess something up by doing that?

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just get a bigger cooler for the trans, its no big deal. The only potential issue is in reeeally cold weather, your trans fluid might be too cold at start up. Since you live in CA, I wouldn't worry about that happening. Just put a big B&M stacked plate trans cooler on the tranny and use the radiator soley for engine coolant.

it should be ok... so long as he didn't run it too long.

j

18. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i got the biggest stacked plate design i could from i believe Jeggs, or something, everyone has them, they are definately worth it. and i dont believe in the 'too much cooling in winter' gig, even if you did live somewhere else, there's just too much friction... so get big 'ol auxillary tranny cooler, problem solved.. and no damage at all if your buddy only went 5 feet..

19. socal chevy

I ordered an AUX tranny cool...

BUT, I noticed that the radiator has more inlets then the new aluminum one has! What give?...There is a line that goes to the radiator cap, and a line that was above the tranny coolet lines, and they are not on the aluminum one! There is a threaded hole on the new alumin. radiator, but there is no part t attach a hose! HELP!

20. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im a little confused, are you saying the coolant overflow stem and the stem leading to the heater core are missing on the new one??