Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which rear axle etc?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snobordboi, Sep 3, 2004.

1. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

well, i found out that a friends dad has a few old axles sitting in back of his place, so I go check them out, and he has 2 dana 70 drw rears and a d60 rear srw i believe it was. since i have yet to buy a k5 since its still 2 months till i can drive again, i am trying to decide which axle may be best for me to acquire and work on. my plans are 44 inch tires so i want the strength for those and gears to push them. since beadlocks are in the plans also, i am debating hummer rims and the possibility of running them with the stock centers as a few are doing here. my question is should i go this way or custom beadlocks, and which axle would work best for those, and what should i look at on these axles to decide which is best, since they are out of vehicles in a yard? any and all help or ideas are appreciated.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd get a dana 70 rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif check the gears first though, the lower they are (numerically higher) the better, since you want 44's.
    depending on if you use a dually, or single rear axle, you can run stock hummer rims in the back, but im not sure on the front.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would pick the d70 with the lowest gear ratio. IIRC the D70 is FF and they are quite strong, comparable to a 14bff. the d60 is comparable to a 14bsf and only some are FF

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

this is sorta off subject but how do u tell a D60 rear from a D70?? esp. if they are both FF?? cuz my friend CLAIMS he has a D70 rear but it looks smaller then my 14B FF /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif plus I'd love to throw it in his face that his 400 dollar "I dunno...its a dana 70,Ford 9" rear end" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif is in fact not a D70 (and yes I KNOW a D70 and Ford 9" are 2 totally different axles...but he didnt) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

well the axles are stamped with what they are on the housing, and in regards to gear ratios is there any way to find out what they "should" have without opening them up? and i was thinking the 70 and the drw front 60 to do the hummer rims, but if i dont do that route can i run a normal wheel on the 70 also? and i assume i need to make sure the bolt p[atterns and width are right, since these are from ford/dodge vehicles if the owner recalls correctly.

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

U could always get SRW hubs if u wanna run normal wheels /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic with stock hummer rims dully front axhole!!
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif