Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which rear lited springs ride the best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Nov 11, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I want to replace my old saggy stock springs and 4" blocks with some lifted springs. Anybody have any opinions on the best riding 4" lifted springs out there? Or would it be better to go with 2" springs and 2" zero rates? Or 2 1/2" springs and 1 1/2" zero rates? Or???? I have opted out of using the reverse shackle since I tow with this rig, so I am looking for the softest ride and the best articulation I can get, all things considered.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Tuff Country 4" rear springs.

3. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

I have 4" superlift softride and they work great /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'd say get some 80's year stock K5 springs (they have teflon padding and tapered edges) and go with either the ORD shackle flip, or the Borrego Bolt on flip.

I have the ORD flip and have towed with my rig w/o any problems.

The 86 K5 springs I have, have a nice spring rate. Truck rides real good. My problem is I don't have enough spring dampening, 2 5012's isn't enough. My rear bounces and leaves the ground at times when I go to fast on the dirt trails. Going to add 2 more 5012's and see how it goes.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I pull a 20' camp trailer and a 20' boat frequently with it, and I have been told that I should not use the shackle flip. My rear springs sag by 2". I have some newer ones to try out, but I am leaning towards replacing them with soft ride spring sof some sort.

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

ahhh ok. I only pull an 18' Coleman tent trailer so I'm sure it's not as heavy as your stuff.

On another note, the articulation gained with the setup I've got is sweet. I'm very happy with it trail wise but I can see your point with the towing.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I run the TC 4" rear springs with angled RS9000's............you can test drive it if you want. I had the same concerns as you, towing ability.

It will also ramp over 800............... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks Frank. I have seen your rig go down the road and it is not nearly as bouncy as mine. I'm not usually a copycat, but in this case, I'll go with what others KNOW works. I was thinking about doing the shock mount upgrade at the same time I replace the springs. Do you have any contact info for Jeremy? I haven't seen him around much.

Betch mine wouldn't ramp 600 w/out some serious groaning right now.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

5yrs ago I replace my 4" blocks with 5 1/2" SuperLift spring packs. They work great! I think a total of 7 or 8 leafs too with teflon inserts. Very nice ride and I have towed many things including a 28ftx10ft duck blind. I also do some hard wheelin and have had great luck with the ride and flex. I just busted my rig on the Rubicon(driveline issues) and one of the center pins sheard off and I lost a dagree shimm. I called up Superlift to see if they sell replacements and they said they would send me a set of shims and center pins FREE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like Free!
    anyway the part # for my spring packs is 01-326 and yes we have the same eye to eye/eye to center pin mesurements.
    www.superlift.com
    Good luck