Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which selectable locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sean'schevy, Nov 10, 2004.

1. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

If you had a choice to get any fornt dana 60 selectable locker which would you get and why. (OX, ARB, ELectrac ect). just trying to get a handle on people opinons out there. i think id like the OX but because dont have to count on air and seals. i havnt really heard anything about OX's how they hold up. Or would you just run a detroit front non selectable locker. (just thinking about steering issues with them)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If I could afford a Dana 60 , and a selectable locker , then I could afford a real steering system and could deal with a regular old Detroit up front . I like simple /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

ARB

4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

electrac

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Detroit locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Went wheeling with JK5 last weekend, He runs an ARB up front. I was real impressed with the way it Worked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I would run an OX, with the throw of a lever your locked. I know too many people who have had their ARB air line crimp or break leaving the locker useless.

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I've got a detroit locker up front & love it. A friend used to run a ox-locker in his jeep & kept breaking them. He is now running dana 60 with detroits f&r /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

worst case an electrac is limited slip. best case its locked. i have not HAD to lock it on anything yet... its that aggressive

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

For me, I would get a tried and true Detroit Locker.

Unless you're using drive flanges steering shouldn't be an issue (on the street). I realize there are times on the trail that steering might be a pain but I can deal with it.

For the difference in cost I would prefer to deal with the steering and spend the money elsewhere.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even with flanges steering is not an issue in 2wd.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have ridden in Jerry's(JK5) K5 and also like the ARB! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Went wheeling with JK5 last weekend, He runs an ARB up front. I was real impressed with the way it Worked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I have ridden in Jerry's(JK5) K5 and also like the ARB! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the ARB in Jerry's is pretty nice. It makes the cool "turbo blowoff valve" sound and works reliably (if the driver remembers to engage it) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I recommended a Detroit but I have no personal experience with a selectable unit. I have ridden in vehicles with them and I have to admit the convenience is great but not enough to justify the cost difference (for me).

15. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If you wheel tight trails and need (want)to turn sharp,get an ARB and an aftermarket heavy duty air line for between your air supply and the dif.It the reliability of a solenoid operating it bothers you,you can run it off of an air switch instead (cheap&easy&foolproof).I run an ARB and will never run anything else.

The problem with not being able to steer as well with a Detroit up front isnt not being able to get the wheels turned,its the push(or pull how ever ya wanna look at it) from both wheels being locked when applying the throttle.Sooper dooper hydro assist can help ya with that /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know this question was for a Dana 60, and an Eaton E-Locker isn't an option there, but has anyone had any experience with an E-Locker in a 10 bolt, or a 9.5" 14 bolt?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also and it boggles my mind how he shuts it off all the time and wheels without a front locker. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the replies guys keep em coming. i think i got it down to 3 of choices ARB/ dertroit or detriot electrac/. i am also running hydro assist right now. any one got some real world experince with eletrac's limited slip thing looks preety cool when not in locked mode(but how does that work will it wear out like ive heard older limited slip type do)

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I have also and it boggles my mind how he shuts it off all the time and wheels without a front locker. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice to take a step backwards once in a while and make obsticles a little harder. Especially when you have a rig that is very capable!

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice to take a step backwards once in a while and make obsticles a little harder. Especially when you have a rig that is very capable!

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I don't selectable lockers I guess this means I should save 4wd--or twin stick and only run front wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif