Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which sentence is more correct???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by arq, Feb 2, 2003.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> I do recall, to the best of my <font color="black"> recollection</font color>, short trips of no more than a few weeks length during my youth. </font color>
    <font color="blue"> OR</font color>

<font color="red"> I do recall, to the best of my <font color="black">knowledge</font color>, short trips of no more than a few weeks length during my youth. </font color>

this one's got me.

ARQ.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

May I suggest an alternative?

"I recall, during my youth, short trips that lasted no more than a few weeks."

IMHO, it is less cluttered and still gets the point across. I'm far from an english expert but my version just seems a little but tidier and more concise, brother......

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The recall and recollection in the same sentance seems a bit repetitive. Knowledge just doesnt quite seem like the right word.

Maybe "I do recall to the best of my memory...."?

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I would say the first. Recollection is recalling to mind and knowledge is based on information or understanding.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks, guys. my fiancee is gonna be right, again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TIP:it has to sound "legal"

ARQ.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I sorta agree, but the first version is redundant and sounds stupid/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To the best of my knowledge, I recall that this looks like school work...pointless and using vague, meaningless, and ambiguous sentences to illustrate that double speak is still alive and well. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How 'bout, I can't remember sh*t?

8. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

ahhhh the dreaded CRS syndrom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Drop the recollection phrase from the first sentence. I checked with the Department of Redundency Department and they said it was. Redundant, that is.

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Time to back that up. Ever heard of the back up pick up? Running backwards as it goes forward? Yet it's not redundant. Just moving the right way while pointing the wrong way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks fellow ck5ers. I guess my fiancee is right, again. did i mention she's canadian.
    i wish it was school work, it's more of a leagal explanation of when and how many times i've been across the border in the past 30yrs or so. kinda funny cause they don't have a record of it either, so how im i expected to know. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ARQ.

12. tRustyK5

Hmmm, fiancee huh. You'll need to practice this sentence and memorize it then.

"Yes dear, of course you're right..." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rene, you missed a part. I think it's: "Yes dear, I'm sorry (the key missing phrase). You're right."

Start when you wake up, repeat until you go to sleep that night. Guaranteed happy wife. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. tRustyK5

Yes Pam, I'm sorry...you're right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank you so much for caring enough to show me the error of my ways and taking the time to help me improve myself.

*blows Pam a kiss* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    *blows Pam a kiss*

[/ QUOTE ]

Than stands back up and zips up pants..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. tRustyK5

You just had to cheapen the whole thing... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I should learn to count on you for that. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Kinda like this most of time&gt;If momma ain't happy,Ain't nobody happy,but,If daddy ain't happy,Nobody cares.Gotta keep Better half happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It's OK Rene. I'll bet Fumes sleeps on his couch a lot more than you do!! (Fumes, ya oughta start practicing ducking...I see flying headers in your future! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

And the "I'm sorry" etc. was very nicely said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Almost sounded sincere! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif You probably get away with a lot more than some of these other clowns...err... guys. (J/K other guys!)

20. tRustyK5

My wife cuts me a lot of slack...mostly because she knows resistance is futile/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Truth is I'm mostly well behaved...she domesticated me years ago./forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Almost sounded sincere!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Much harder to do with a straight face...

Rene