Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Oct 22, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy, rather than make, a shackle flip for my p/u truck. I was looking at either the DIY one which requires new shackles, or the ORD one. Has anyone experienced trouble with the stock shackles bending or breaking? That is basically what is balancing my decision right now. Either use stock or new shackles...any opinions?

Doug

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

are you building a flexy truck or just to lift? if your going flexy, get the ORD flip and the 6" shackles together and the DIY flip and some longer shackles. if your just for lift the just stick with the ORD flip and your stock shackles. it will work just fine.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I am going for flexy, I offroad this thing more times than not. So its either ORD with 6" shackles or DIY with shackles? Thanks.

Doug

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would get the DIY flip. If you own a drill and a saw, you can make shackles any length you need.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

good point. the shackles for the diy4x flip will cost almost nothing if you can cut and drill your own metal. the ORD flip requires a tapered shackle. hard to make perfect and cost alot more to buy. i did go the ORD route and made my own shackles with some old ones that were laying around. they work but not quite perfect. if ease of building i say go with the diy4x flip and homemade shackles.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would do the DIY flip or a SKY flip if you are going to buy one. Yes stock shackles can bend.

Harley

7. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

im with hossbaby50 on this one. diy flip and sky. diy bein the first choice because of the shackles. sky because its easier to adjust. ive got nothing against the ord flip though, im actually about to buy a used 2.5'' flip one.

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I would still just grind off the front spring hanger off of a parts truck and use that. Definitley the cheapest route.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the DIY flip is the best one to date with respect to neat features. The backing plates with nuts welded to them is nice, and the ability to use simple plate shackles is a HUGE plus over any shack flip that uses factory style ones.

j

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

11. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

The DIY Flip is the only one I have ever used, but I will vouch for the quality. It's top notch camparing it to all the other types of suspension components that I have used on other vehicles in the past. The shackle design and backer plates are great additions to an all business piece.

12. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

I'm gonna step out here and vote for the ORD. I just installed the flip on my '86 along with their HD shackles and greasable bushings. Yes, there was a bit of wallet pain, but their parts and fabrication were top notch. Everything went just as they said, and they were mega helpful when I called to ask stupid newbie questions. One word of caution, the flip will move your axle forward slightly. ORD says that 3/4" is standard, but I'm running 12" springs and mine moverd forward approx. 2". Nothing you can't work around, but good to know if you're running big lift.

I've never dealt w/DIY, but ORD and their crew is the best in my book...