Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which shackle flip?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72beater, Jan 8, 2003.

1. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

any thoughts on the echobit bolt on flip vs. the ORD flip?
    it looks like the echobit may be weaker due to the fact that it relies upon the stock hangers and their associated rivets, vice being bolted directly to the frame rail. any ideas?

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok. Whats a shackle flip and what benifits does it provide?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You've got the basic idea....

The Echobit one is strictly a "bolt on" deal...which makes it a LOT easier to install. The ORD one is a bolt on and requires grinding off 12 rivets and replacing the factory hangers.

Both will do the same thing, but the ORD flip is more work and is more expensive. If the Echobit one existed when I was looking to make the change on my '72, I might have gone that route instead.

The ORD flip and a full set of greaseable bushings took me a full weekend to install. At least on the 1st Gens you don't have to drop the gas tank like you do on the '73 and up K5s....but it's still a lot of work. Something else to consider.

As far as WHY....the ride is much softer and nicer by using a compression style setup instead of a tension style....you ARE going to give up load carrying capability (which is why the OEM setup is the way it is) and towing may or may not be a good idea anymore.

For offroad driving, it's a really nice upgrade. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well better ride and the fact that it gives you 4 inches of lift with a better pinion angle.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I was actually planning on doing a homebrew flip on my Blazer (a little gusseting here, cantilever there, etc.).

The reason it softens the ride is due to the geometry. As the spring compresses, it flattens and the spring eyes move farther apart longitudinally. In a tension setup, as the rear spring eye moves to the rear of the truck and tries to lift the frame as it pivots. This tends to bind the spring up a bit and cause a harsh ride because the suspension then doesn't want to move as easily as it wants to. Conversely, a compression shackle allows the spring eye to move closer to the body as the spring lengthens, softening impact harshness.

6. Greg72

Oh, yeah almost forgot about the pinion angle part!

Mine rotated up enough that my rear driveshaft got about 3/4" shorter....

7. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

I was wondering how many of you have used two different lifts (for front and rear) because of a shackle flip. If anyone has, how well does this work? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have a 71 K5 with 4" blocks in the rear and 4" rancho springs up front. I am also thinking of doing the echobit flip with the 57" F-150 springs becuase of the increased articulation. anyone done this on a 1st gen?????

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i have all the parts for the flip(echobit flips, 57's and a 14FF) I just did a mock install on my rear disk set up and it looks great...

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I went with the ORD shackle flip.

If I had it to do over again I would do the same thing.

The Ecobit flip gives a bit more lift (like 5.5") and I don't want any more than the 4" I have now. The ORD flip also just looks cleaner. It was however a PITA to put on.

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">If I were keeping my rear leaf-sprung, I would go with the ORD flip. Lowering the rear of the spring 5 1/2" changes the suspension geometry too much and it also pushes the tire too far foward in the fenderwell.

12. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

If I were gonna to a shackle flip I would use the ORD flip with a revolver shackle. I dont remember who has it, but I saw the setup on the list and they were getting monster atriculation.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Greg, hat's off to you to do that whole operation in a weekend. I'm doing the install now. Took me a few evenings of work just to get the rearend torn apart. Had to cut ever spring bolt off as they were all fused. What a pain.

So I've got the factory shackle hanger off (rivets weren't a huge deal.) Now I'm looking at it and wondering how in the world you could have mounted the shackle flip on w/out dropping the tank. There's no way I can get my hand back there to slide the bolt through let alone put a wrench on them. Very confused.

-Jeff.

14. Greg72

Jeffer,

Do you have the stock tank (21 gal)?

The tank is not that tight to the frame rails, and there was enough room to reach in and do what I had to do. I also have a 2" body lift which may have provided better clearance than a stocker would....but it should still SOMEHOW be possible....it seems like I reached in from underneath and towards where the bumper would be.....

Wait a minute! I also don't have a rear bumper. That is another huge thing probably in your way, now that I think about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Stroked72Blazer

What are the pros and cons of a shackle flip VS a spring lift? Also, where is a link to some good diagrams or pics that show what is involved?

16. Greg72

Colin,

It's a shame that there isn't more room in the Members Gallery! I used to have a whole installation "How To" on the shackle flip in there, but I ran out of room.....

The main thing with the shackle flip is to soften the rear spring rate AND use the stock spring....and you still achieve 4" of lift.

If you wanted a larger lift (like 6") you could do a 2" spring and 4" shackle flip and have a much softer ride and better flex, than with a 6" spring.

As a general rule, the more lift you put in the spring, the more ARCH you have to put in the spring. And the more ARCHED a spring is, the stiffer it gets!!!

17. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    There you have it. 2" body lift and no bumper and I could easily get my hotdog fingers in there. I do have the stock tank. Body mount pucks are almost reduced to nothing and the bumper is right where it always was. Guess for my sanity, it's time to drop the tank and maybe pop in a new poly one.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

biggray71,
    I made spring preaches to move the axle back 1-1/2", you could also use a 0 rate with the hole offset 1-1/2" back.

[​IMG]

19. Stroked72Blazer

I haven't researched this for the rear springs but the stock front spring rate is 1200ish ft lbs where most after market 6" lifts are in the 430-650 (SkyJacker won't disclose theirs so I am boycotting them) ft lbs. My assumption is this would be the same for the rear just with lighter spring rates. By lightening the spring rate That should soften the ride right, or is the softened rate just used to compensate for the incresed arch?

Now, I want to use a 6"/5" lift and this will be a daily driver. I will also use it to tow my 78 Firebird to the racetrack. I want maximum performance with out loosing towing capability. Is a shackle flip completely out of the question for me or do they make one that would provide a 2" lift so I could find a happy medium? Or woud that still make it too soft? What other lift options do I have. I am looking for an all around off rad performance mud, rocks, hills, trails.

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you use a shackle flip and want to tow then put some airbag overloads on it for while towing.