Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which shift kit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Jul 11, 2002.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got a th400 tranny from a '90 sub in my truck. I am looking at putting in a shift kit and am curios what brand/ style to get. Any recomendations? Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Trans-Go. Don't like the B&M stuff.

Local shops won't use anything BUT trans-go, and thats not just "because". Friend owns a tranny shop, been doing GM trannies since 1980, and thats all he'll use.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats the info I was lookin for. I saw a B&M on ebay so was curious. Thanks /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I have a stage 2 B&M in mine and it's been perfect for the 5 months that I've had it. I don't see any problems with a B&M.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dotn like B&M ethier. i have used trans go on 4 vehicles. one a 500 hp Chevelle in a powerglide. i NEVER had a problem with that trans. but the two TH350's i have had with B&m didnt last for crap. or in the same chevelle and the other in my blazer. the only reason the trans-go shift kit came out of my blazer is because the output shaft came out in multiple peices... OOOPS!!
    grant

6. dyeager535

I don't know if they improved them alot in the last few years or not, but the last B&M kit I installed (TH350) had instructions that might as well have been in there solely as packing material.

Spent two hours with a friend looking at the kit and instructions with the tranny out of the car, and STILL ended up putting something in upside down or backwards, and since my friend was free at the time, HE got to go tear the thing back apart while in the vehicle to get that piece reversed.

Besides, their kits for the 200-4R's don't fix an existing problem (Throttle Valve) that the trans-go's do.
    (In case anyone wanted me to justify my comments)

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Everytime my Jimmy shifts into 2nd it chirps those 35's and I haven't had a problem yet.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mudbogAD and i were able to do his th350 B&M stage 2 kit in no time it was easy.

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok ive heard about em, and i think i know what they are, but what EXACTLY is a shift kit? Brett

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

basically a shift kit goes in the tranny to modify the way it shifts, wether it's faster, smoother, etc depends on the kit...

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What does the kit consist of? What does it take to install one? How long does it take? Can ya do it with the tranny in the vehicle? What do these things cost? How complicated is it? Sorry about the rapid fire questions.....Just wanted to get them all out faster....:)

12. dyeager535

Hmm. Not sure if there is anything on line that illustrates a shift kit install, but IMO, a good shift kit involves replacing valve body springs/valves (some not all) sometimes the "sleeves" for the valves, as well as modifying the spacer plate (goes between valve body and transmission case) and thats pretty much it. Different transmissions and kits will vary on what needs done of course.

Easy to do out of the vehicle, just have to pay attention to what goes where, but in the vehicle, it would be a *bit* tougher, just because fluid is leaking on your head (it will NEVER stop raining Dexron lol) and you have to use vaseline, tranny grease, etc., to hold the checkballs in place. I can see it being a bit tougher to line up the gaskets and what not as well, but other than that, the valve body and spacer plate come out, so thats pretty straight forward still, so not modified while you are still under the vehicle.

Anybody that can follow instructions can do a shift kit, just have to pay attention to what you are doing. You'll probably end up cleaning the whole valve body out, just to get all the "silt" out of it from use. Also not difficult to do.

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I also have a B&M stage-2 kit in my truck, I like it alot. It took me about 2 hours to do by myself.

14. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

TCI iS another good brand I have never had a problem with mine in the Camaro.
    Mike

15. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

They guy that built my tranny said dont put in a shift kit and he has been dooing tranny work for 34 years and he said you are better off not putting in a shift kit and just stick with a trany with some upgrades. He said after a while parts in the tranny will start to fade fast and it is going to be exspensive in the long run. HE did my th400 put strait cut planatary gears from a allison tranny and a heavy duty torque converter and kevlar clutches and a fer other things so its a th475 and the tranny kicks ass. It shifts quick and stays at the rpm that it shifts at. It is not to hard or to soft it is quick and crisp. But this is his opinion and not mine.
    Colin

16. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I've always been taught that shift kits will run your tranny cooler which in turn will make the tranny last longer.

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How would a shift kit run a tranny cooler? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

18. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Less slipping during shifts which reduces heat. Less slippage also means less wear.

I think this is correct.

19. dyeager535

I've never heard about the reduction in heat, but it makes sense. Supposedly longer clutch life as well. Of course, I've heard the converse, that shift kits tend to overstress the clutches (stock or stock replacements) and tear them. Also, I kind of doubt the rapid movement of parts does anything for their longevity.

If you are stopping EXCESS slippage then great, but I wouldn't doubt it if you can go TOO far with a shift kit. That kind of seems to be what the manufactures have gone to with totally electronic transmissions...tons of feedback from vehicle sensors, so the transmission knows when to shift hard and when it can shift smoothly..

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Oh, I misunderstood! I thought you meant that a shift kit would actually power an auxillery tranny cooler! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I gotcha now......