Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which shock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Apr 6, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I have been reading about a lot of different shock options. I basically think I like Doetsch because they seem to put out a good product at a reasonable price.

So, which one, the firmer prerunner 8403's or the softer 3403's. I tend to think the softer would be better, but I wanted to hear from somone who has experience with these, or these vs the Rancho 99012's or something similar. I also thought the doetsch would be a bit better than the rancho (other than price) because it appears that it's compression length is 2 inches shorter, but it's extended length is only a quarter inch shorter?

I don't have the descretionary funds to learn this the hard way. The rear will be running 57" springs (Springer) on 5" lift, and the front will be running 5" lift with f350 shock mounts. It is a daily driver.

Thanks for the advice

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think the 8403s are better for out heavier trucks. I have a set of 4 and like them.
    -- Mike

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, for big full size rigs the 8000 series is prolly the best shock DT makes. I run'em and recommend them to anyone not ready to spend the MAD cash that the high-end shocks cost.

j

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What kind of $$$ do the DT's run ?
    Going rate on Bilstien 5100's is $65-70 each. Order them from Baja Concepts and you can get them in any valving Bilstein offers, and get knowlegable advice on what damper rates to use.
    I've not run any DT, but after replacing Rauncho's with Bils on I'll never again use Rauncho dampers for other than a temp fix.

5. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status