Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which shocks for stock height?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms, Jul 23, 2002.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Here's the situation of my truck: '85, stock suspension, 10-bolts; current Gabriel gas shocks (a Sears special /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ) are worn (actually, they lasted until the first trailride - 20 miles washboard, shocks got so hot I almost burned my hand /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , and they were never the same after that... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ). Wife sez to get decent shocks, now, so I will comply /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm going to take the truck to Moab with the current height and axles, and see how I'm doing there. I'm sure that will lead to another wish list. But for now, I figure that I won't lift the truck until I get bigger axles. At the pace this is going that'll be another year or so. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif . So I want good shocks - no more Sears specials. Right now, I'm thinking about these three (all are about $200/set):
    1. Bilstein OEM replacement.
    2. Doetsch Tech - either 3000 or 8000.
    3. Rancho RSX.
    I want decent street manners and performance on mixed, mostly dry/rocky trails or washboard dirt roads. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks for the input, michael

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In my opinion, you'd be miles ahead by not wasting your money on a set of shocks that will go directly to the trash when you lift the truck. I say you lift the truck NOW!! 10 bolt axles can at least survive to 33s for a while, maybe even 35s if you're nice to it. Either way, no harm done in doing the lift now and getting new shocks. That way nothing goes in the garbage.

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Your concerns for my wallet and the environment are appreciated. However, I already have 33's on the truck, so I don't need to lift it for that, and going to 35's is too small of a difference to go through all the hassle. Anything bigger than that is likely to be to much for the 10-bolts, and I'd have to change gear ratios again (I like how it runs w/ 33's and 4.10's) - I figure that'll be the time to move on to bigger axles. So, anybody with an opinion on the three kinds of shocks?

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the Bilstiens are good shocks
    the other 2 you listed are reboxed Gabriels/Monroes