Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which shocks should I get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Sep 16, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im putting dual shocks on all 4 conrners of my truck. WHat kind do yall think I should run? I would like the pro-comp MX-8's but they are really expensive. What do yall think?

LMK
    Nick
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u do desert racing or something? dual shocks really are overkill IMO, back in the 80s you needed 4 shocks at each wheel when u ran 44s... these days 1 shock is plenty... so why pay the $$$$$$ for 8 shocks?

j

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put on a second pair in the front and now it handles better so it does help a little, bbut why put them in the back besides for looks?

4. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

pro craps more like it

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

What you really have to ask yourself is what are you trying to achieve. Standard shocks, no matter how many of them you put on, have a 50/50 valving which is great on compression... but its the rebound that gets you bouncing back up in the air. People generally mount more than one standard shock as a way to calm down vibrations from a big tire or extend the amount of work they can displace before they fade. If your sticking to the street or off-roading which does not work the suspension very much then a standard shock (or combination of them) will do just fine. Once you get into working the suspension a little harder, whether in the rocks, sand or hitting the trials at speed, your going to want to begin exploring shocks with more rebound dampening than compression so your tires spend more time on the ground, especially here in So-Cal where we have just about every terrain imaginable within an hours drive. If your really into the speed aspect then getting a remote reservoir can help to keep the shocks from fading fast like a standard shock will do (some like Pro-Comps, Ranchos, Doeshtech, etc..fade within minutes on a heavy washboard road). They allow you to charge the shock with nitrogen, adding more foam resitance and a little more dampening. The third big advantage to a shock like this is they are custom valvable and rebuildable. This allows you to change the dampening for a few bucks without replacing the whole shock, specificly good for those of us constantly changing out trucks. The next big step is for the all out perfectionist and that is the external bypass shocks. These have all the benefits of above but have 2 or 3 external valves that let you change the compresion/rebound/bumpstop dampening without pulling apart the shock. Given everything above, look at your intended use and see what fits your needs the most. Now look at your budget and find the best compromise. Standard shocks run $50-$100 each and last 6 months to 2 years (depending on use). A good shock like a Fox whcih can be valved to your application will run you about $150 per shock and last a lifetime, or maybe have to be rebuilt once for $40 if you really abuse it. You could get away with one remote reservoir shock at each corner and have much more control that any number of standard shocks could give you. The sky is the limit from here, prices rise with the types of options you add (external bypass, coilover ,etc).

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My Gabrials were $15 with a lifetime warranty. I'll just keep replacing those. $50 for a standard shock is robbery.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My 4 Pro-Comp ES3000's were $34 each - I regret it every time I go wheelin. Running Rancho 9000's in the back now on '4' and its a little better but they still bounce and fade. I will never buy another cheap shock again now that I wheel with people running Fox/Bilstein/Sway-Away/King and the others - its just emberrassing to try and keep up with them (at speed or over technical stuff) when the rest of thier truck is less equipped than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You CAN be very competetive with cheap shocks, to a point.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 4 Pro-Comp ES3000's were $34 each - I regret it every time I go wheelin. Running Rancho 9000's in the back now on '4' and its a little better but they still bounce and fade. I will never buy another cheap shock again now that I wheel with people running Fox/Bilstein/Sway-Away/King and the others - its just emberrassing to try and keep up with them (at speed or over technical stuff) when the rest of thier truck is less equipped than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You CAN be very competetive with cheap shocks, to a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said. Putting on dual shocks without knowing the science of shocks is throwing a worthless band-aid at a problem.

When it comes to the high end shocks, opinions are varied and helps to talk to various people that know what they are talking about. I've been sold on the Kings over the Sway Aways, and I'm not going to get into why tonight.

Hey Borrego, since ya know the score, this is kind of funny. A couple of months ago, I saw a race truck with Rancho 5000's with homemade add-on resevoirs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure they were 5000's? Rancho is releasing thier new remote reservoir 9000's any day now and rumor has it they have a 5000 in testing as well. Amazingly, they are still a 50/50 shock /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If it was custom, thats kinda funny!

Have you seen the Edelbrock EAS - you can jiggle them by hand and get them to go soft - completely useless! They are getting returned by the drove to the local chains!

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure they were 5000's? Rancho is releasing thier new remote reservoir 9000's any day now and rumor has it they have a 5000 in testing as well. Amazingly, they are still a 50/50 shock /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If it was custom, thats kinda funny!

Have you seen the Edelbrock EAS - you can jiggle them by hand and get them to go soft - completely useless! They are getting returned by the drove to the local chains!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, said 5000 right on the side and upon a not so closer inspection revealed that the resevoirs where added on by someone (not shop). I've read that this is possible if the fabricator doing it knows WTF they are doing and somewhere I read (think it was RDC) the specifics on doing it. But me being me, it would not be one of those things I would really want to attempt.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will never buy another cheap shock again now that I wheel with people running Fox/Bilstein/Sway-Away/King and the others - its just emberrassing to try and keep up with them (at speed or over technical stuff) when the rest of thier truck is less equipped than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] ahh stop it, your making me blush /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bubba: sounds almost like the old rancho lightning rods, the only 2.0''s that i've ever seen that were available with bypasses /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and they were still twin tube /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Don't know, just going off what I saw. They weren't even bypass shocks.

You should see the old set of Trailmaster race shocks I have setting in the garage. I think the pics are in my gallery on here.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend has scienced out how to make po' boy remotes for 5100's. We've yet to try it though. Think I might on the rear of the Sub at some point. (The front's got some remote 7100's sitting in the living room waiting for hoops.) Same guy has 4 of those Rancho 1000's on the front of his Landcruiser.

As to the King vs. SAW; Gee, there's a no-brainer. External quality alone should be enough. Combine that with most of the winning dez racers using Kings and you've got no decision left except for if you can afford them.

I rank them like this:
    King
    Fox - Bilstein
    SAW

Rancho
    Gabriel/Skyjacker/ProComp/etc.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Combine that with most of the winning dez racers using Kings and you've got no decision left except for if you can afford them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, finally got the lowdown on the Kings and Sway Aways a couple of races ago. Kind of sad that one has to talk to someone in person, whereas on "certain" websites talking differences between shocks are strictly forbidden since the site owners don't want hurt sensibilities.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    As to the King vs. SAW; Gee, there's a no-brainer. External quality alone should be enough. Combine that with most of the winning dez racers using Kings and you've got no decision left except for if you can afford them.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats wrong with SAWs "external quality"? is it a bling bling thing or something that actually negatively effects perf? AFA racers using kings.. thats fine... but not all of us race. IMO, if Im going over 5mph in my rig, Im not having any fun.

j