Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which shocks should I run with my AK57 sus?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Oct 20, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I was thinking procomp es9000's but I dont know if they will have enough travel. Ive heard the bilstines are good because they have 14" of travel. If I got the bilsteins would I have to relocate the shocks to get them to work effectively?

LMK
    Nick

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

"long ones" lmao... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    but bilsteins are a great product...got about 57k on a set on our 99 s-blazer..

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's basically what to do. Cycle the suspension. You should be able to get away without having to take the leaves apart to do this.

Cycle the suspension and find out how much travel you have. Then find a shock that will fit that travel. Of course mounting location will be everything, so you may have to limit travel somewhat if you can't get a shock long enough.

I don't know the AK57 suspension, but isn't sort of like the Springer Setup? Copy whatever everyone else is doing, which I do beleive is the mounting the top of the shock pointing inboard towards the center and I think the 14" Rancho shock.......... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the ak-57 IS the springer setup...azkickin bought it i believe..

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

AK57 is Springer Suspension design, just AZ-Kickin' selling it now. Wish I could afford one right now. beat me confed

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Nick, This is a idea that Marv and I talked about last weekend and I am going to give it a try. Rancho #99036 has 15" of travel and with the use of the Ford front shock mounts angled backward on both sides may be just about right. We are pretty busy filling orders right now so my projects have to wait but I'll let people know how it works later.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I was mostly woried about the rear shocks. I saw in Marv Springer's webshots that he cut a hole in the bbed and put shocks through into the cab. I was wandering if thats what I need to do to effectively. I dont really want to because I drive the truck everyday and I dont want water and crap getting in. Not to metion the road noise.

nick

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw in Marv Springer's webshots that he cut a hole in the bbed and put shocks through into the cab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick,

Although several guys have done this, I'm not one of them./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif... Much like you I didn't want to sacrifice my bed space to the shock gods, and so as 45acp mentioned - I used the Ford shock towers in a creative way and kept the top of the shocks under the floor.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics....

Marv