Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which side is best????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Sep 21, 2000.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Which side would be better for a spare tire carrier, Driver or Pass. side? I have noticed that most of them are made on the passenger side. I would think that would cause a blind spot. I was thinking of getting one made for the Driver's side. Any disadvantages on this side?

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Neither, the center is the best. IMHO

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I would prefer it on the passenger side. B/c when you swing it out, the norm is to have it swing out the passenger side, I think. But anyways, if you have a problem with the blind side, use those 3 3/4" round little mirrors to put in the corner of your mirrors on your doors. I think they're called "blind spot mirrors", or something like that. (long day at work, I tell yah.)
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know where you park yours, but I wouldnt put my tire carrier on the drivers side. I have to park on the street most of the time where the space could hardly hold a civic. The other cars zip by and can pull doors and stuff open(like stopping on the shoulder of a highway). Its up to you though. Whatever suits your real world parking and driving habits. BTW, "Blind spots are caused by you not moving your head...slow down!!!", my dad. God I loved getting rid of my learners permit!!!!!!!!!

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mine is on the driverside so that when I look over my shoulder I can see little cars hiding behind me.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have my spare on the passenger side. To resolve the blindspot issue I use small adhesive convex mirrors. If I can see a car in those mirrors its right beside me.
    As for the tire causing a blind spot, well the whole side of my truck is a blind spot. I can't see anything smaller than an S-10 beside me (without the convex mirrors) so adding the tire carrier was a non-issue. Also as another post pointed out I would rather be standing near the curb when I swing out the spare.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am with Grim, i have mine on the Drivers side. It does help to have that open side to see people behind you...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Mine is on the driver's side too, but it drops down instead of swinging out.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

10. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

heck, just put it on the hood like a land rover.

Phil in K.C.