Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which size tires should I get

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sidepipes, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at BFG AT's 33X10.5, 32X11.5, 33X12.5?
    Heres the particulars 86 Jimmy, stock height, stock Aluminum rims.I don't frequently offroad(only 6-10 times a year) and its all mud. I'm leaning towards the AT's since its a daily driver.

I want the 33X12.5's but have heard they are a little wide for a 7" rim, which is understandable but I have no way or want to upgrade the rims. ANybody have experience with a 7" rim and a 12.5" tire? What's the wear pattern like?

Lets here some opinions!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7" rims and 12.50s won't be great in the wear pattern department. If I were gonna run 12.50s and wanted the best wear I would run 10" rims.

3. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i ran 33 12,5 swamepr ssr's on 7" wheels. i adjustedmy air pressure to account for the center buldge and had no problems. i got about 33K out of em. also with that narrow of a wheel you can really air down with worries of breaking a bead. i would usually run 7psi offroad. and 27 on the street but that was on a wrangler so......

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You can run the 12.5 on the 7" rim. A lot of people do it. The tire will wear faster in the center of the tire. I personally run my 12.5 wide tires on 8" rims. This gives better protection for the rim since the sidewall bulges more.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

33x10.5 or the 32x11.5 is the two I would choose out of. I personally run the 32x11.5x15 BFG AT's and they are pretty good. I have never had any problems with them. They have lasted well, and offroaded well also. I don't do alot of mud though. The AT pattern isn't good in the mud. Neither variation, the standard or the KO. I can say I have been threw some decent mud (compared to the trucks ability) and I have never been stuck, but after you can see that the tires are just mud balls on the end of your axles.

With the 32's I never had a problem with them hitting except on full flex or on the running boards with stock suspension.

The 33x10.5's might be a little better in the mud because the would dig down a little farther to firmer soil, but the 32x11.5's will displace and throw more mud.

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Actually I've played with the AT's (33X12.5's)in the mud.. on a Blazer frame too( truck cab). This thing couldn't be stopped.... even though it didn't have its front driveshaft in. Yes it wasn't as good as the other truck with 35"MT's but pretty damn impressive none the less.

I am really leaning towards the 12.5" wides just because the truck is so heavy I need as much tread as I can get.... as well as height. I think I'll get the place to bring in all three and get them to test fit them all so I can check everything out.

Once I get these tires, I think the truck will have acceptable abilities for what I do and the look I'm going for. Next stop , a soft top and possibly a 2-4" lift..... yes the disease has started. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Don't buy them too small b/c in about a month you will wish you got the bigger ones! Get the biggest ones you can stuff under your rig and then you can lift it and be happy with the tire size you chose.

8. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

Well I just went with 35 12.5's on my 90 Blazer with 7 inch rims and NO lift. The truck looks and rides awesome on the 35's. I had to trim the rear of the front fenders a little bit but well worth it IMO. I would say (if your buying them new) go down to the tire shop and have them mount 33's on one side (and definately 12.5) and 35's or whatever your other choices were and see what you like best.

9. Blazer_Schwabie

Blazer_Schwabie Registered Member

I have a 1980 k5 with no lift and i just put new 33x12.50 mickey thompson baja claws-radial and they ride sweet, little noise and they hook up pretty good. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and hope the tire shop will do it, I can definetally see them giving you a hard time about it adn saying they won't fit and thats that. I know around here most stores and shops seem to have never heard the statement the customer is always right.

11. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

One of the guys I was talking to suggested Dayton Timberline MT's.... They are cheaper that the BFG's and the tread is fairly mean.... not really sure what I want now.

Daytons---$160CA a piece
    BFG's $198 CA a piece

If I buy the first ones, I can also get a set of Warn Premium hubs($200CA), If I get the BFG's I'm gonna have to wait abit.