Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which snowmobile to buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hey,

in the past year my family has gotten into snowmobiling. My family bought an ArticCat 700 (EFI/snowcooled) and an ArticCat 570 (carb/fan-cooled).

I am considering a SKI-DOO MXZ 600 HO. But, I honestly dont know too much about snowmobiles and the different companies. I want to make sure if i'm getting something that costs this much that it'll have the power I want and handling and everything. Will probably do light to medium trails, and higher speeds on wide open trails.

Any input on the above snowmobile or which brand you guys recommend is appreciated. Thanks.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm a big snowmobiler myself and ride Arctic Cats. I am negotiating a price with a freind of mine on a Arctic Cat 2003 900cc twin with thw 159" long track. I am excited about this winter because I shoulds be able to do someserious hill climbing with it this year. I would say any Arctic cat machine is going to be good for you. Don't spend a lot of money at first, it's an expensive sport and can say make sure you really like it before spending big bucks on a new machine. We have 6 machines and love it!

We have an arcticcat powder extreme 600 triple with the 136" track and it is awesome, heavy but it flys! If you can find one of those machines grab it, they are rare. Any 136" track machine with a 600-700CC engine is going to be a nice riding and capable machine. I don't recommend anything over 700cc because they are very powerfull and not needed for someone not very experienced. It's a great sport and I'm sure you will love it!. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Here is a pic of the '03 900cc that I am probably going to buy if my freind and I agree on a price.
    [​IMG]

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

buy one with a 454 on nos- Jess

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] The machine above weighs less than a complete big block chevy and makes 150 HP with a top speed of well over 100MPH. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a snowmobile is the fastest thing I bet you will ever ride /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I used to drag race and whenever I get a real job I am absolutely riding again. I'd go Arctic Cat as well. an F6 is a really nice sled, for a bit less money the Sabercats are nice too. What kind of riding are you thinking? All the companies make a good product you just have to know what each one does well. I'm out of the loop on the brand new sleds really. Do you want used or brand new? If I had the money to buy a sled I'd have bought myself a brand new F7 months ago. Oh and in case you can't guess my screen name has nothing to do with dogs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

First is a new trail sled for me, then a drag sled /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif likely setup for both ice and asphalt.
    Drag sled will have something like this
    http://65.61.20.44/psiperformance/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=439
    300HP in a motor I can pick up by hand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Slap that in a sled and in drag trim way about 450lbs(guess by far could be less). Every pony would have 1.5 lbs to push along. With a big old flat asphalt track, hooking up is not an issue, its more like do you have the balls and ability to hold on and do an 8 second 1/4 mile with nothing but a helmet and leather? In reality it will not be built like that but my goal is low 8 second 1/4s on a drag sled. Factory sleds like the F7 run 10s/11s(not just a quess, they do) so it isn't a crazy leap. Its just a matter of holding on wiht that much power. Fastest sled I've ever seen was in a mag a few years back. 0-100 in about 4.5 seconds. The picture of it was the sled standing at about a 45* angle coming off the line. With the rider not caring about aerodynamics only caring about keeping it from flipping him on his back.

sorry to go off topic I just LOVE snowmobiles

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If I had the money to buy a sled I'd have bought myself a brand new F7 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ] I have heard that the 900 cat with the 159" track (my new machine /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif)can still outpull the new F7 up a hill. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I'm not into asphalt running because I am more interested in mountain machines for long hill climbs and deep powder but I have shot through my rice fields on my 600 a couple of times and dirt hooks better than snow, I can't imagine what asphalt is like. Still....I think a snowmobile belongs in the snow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is a pic of the new F7 if anyone is interested. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

8. rjfguitar

Here's another pic from 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]

My blazer hooked to the old snowmobile trailer(now the ATV trailer) with our Powder Extreme 600 triple and 580 EXT mountain cat. We have since bought a 4 place inclosed twin axle trailer, brand new '04 Polaris RMK 700, and looks like an '03 900cc 159" mountain cat(pick above). /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Can't wait to head up this winter with the new trailer, 2 new sleds, and my new dodge cummins! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Here is a pic of the Polaris RMK 700cc 144" we bought. I have never ridden a polaris and am interested how it will compare to the cats. I'll take the 900 159" cat and my dad can ride the Polaris. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [​IMG]

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I am way into snowmachines as well. Went out for the first ride last weekend and wheelied my sled over on top of myself. Guess I won't buy the Boondockers NOS kit after all. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Sounds like you are flatland type of rider. No reason to get a mountain sled if all you are going to be doing is running trails and lakes. If you are just going flat land- get a short track- 121 or so. If you are going to be running trails and some deep powder maybe a 136. Deep powder, mountain riding, hill climbing, etc go for the 151 up. If you are into jumping, bumps, and ditch banging look at the Polaris XC SP or ProX. Cat has the F7 or F7 Sno Pro, F6 or F6 Sno Pro. Ski doo MXZ Rev is a really nice sled as well. If you change altitude and temps quite a bit an EFI or the Doo might be for you. If you are going to mod go for a carb model. Some mentioned not going overboard with CC's unless you are an experienced rider, good idea. Another idea is to buy used for your first year. Find out what you like, need then drop the big money. Also, spend the money on good gear, otherwise you will be miserable- first hand experience here.
    Hang on it is an addicting sport, and the most fun you will probably have. I have ridden every type of motorcycle, four wheeler and three wheeler you can think of and even my CBR 900 didn't come close to the rush you get from a sled!
    LET IT SNOW /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin of getting a new sled, just not sure which company. I had been quoted roughly about 120-160/mo for payments on a new sled depending on the model. i dont want to have payments really above 160/mo, even that might be a little high. i just dont want to get something that has too little power and hate it.

It seems like you guys are all about Arctic Cat's...not sure how my family ended up picking theirs, but it seems like not too many people around here have'em and a local guy who used to head the club is all about ski-doo's. that's what got me thinking about those instead. i just don't want to go with what my family went with just because that's what they bought. the 570 i think has about 110 hp, and seemed like it lacked too much compared to the 700. one thing with the 700, i didnt like how the seat felt behind me. it might have been the extra seat attachment on the 570 i got used to, but it felt weird, like i could slide off even though i wasnt.

ok, it seems like its been mentioned a lot to get a longer track. isnt that really just for hill climbs and deep snow?? i think i'll be doing typical trails, not so much hill climbs although maybe once in a while when goin up north.

i've only gone riding like 3-4 times. ok... i hate riding doubles. but it is awesome riding single. from the little bit that i have driven, we had to cut across a road or two, and driving on tar blows. the ski's weren't grabbing at all... once or twice i kept going straight even though the ski's were fully turned!

Now its a little confusing which is better (with everyone talking all about Artic Cats), and noone in my area except us seeming to have'em. Does anyone know anything about the different companies and which are better for what reasons? Which have more power, better handling, etc for mid-range sleds on light-to-medium trails?? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    actually, i'd rather replace the 305 that took a crap in my blazer with a 454...except i didnt get a chance to swap in anything except a radiator that could handle an engine that big /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    http://65.61.20.44/psiperformance/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=439

[/ QUOTE ]
    how about instead of spending this much on a snowmobile engine...give it to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...then i can buy a 454, th400, possibly some decent axles, cut out and replace the front floor, and get a half-way decent paint job. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif AND you'd get the satisfaction of helping me be able to drive my truck again so i dont only have the car to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

ok...being serious now...do you actually feel SAFE towing a sled with the blazer?? with the amount of rebound mine can have off of bumps, even with only a 4" lift and 35"s, i'd think the trailer would be all over the place. (i plan on just having my parents tow it on their 3-place trailer for now)

11. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you change altitude and temps quite a bit an EFI or the Doo might be for you. If you are going to mod go for a carb model. Some mentioned not going overboard with CC's unless you are an experienced rider, good idea. Another idea is to buy used for your first year. Find out what you like, need then drop the big money. Also, spend the money on good gear, otherwise you will be miserable- first hand experience here.
    Hang on it is an addicting sport, and the most fun you will probably have. I have ridden every type of motorcycle, four wheeler and three wheeler you can think of and even my CBR 900 didn't come close to the rush you get from a sled!

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, my parents went up to N.H. just near the border of canada last year and the temp the week they were up there was below zero. i didnt get to go, but i guess it was freezing. since it was their first year, they didnt have any heaters for their masks and they were icing over. the 570 stalled at one point. was told it got ice crystals or something in it and i think they had to spray something in it to get it started again. but i guess its awesome up there, the local club goes up and rides around on the really wide groomed trails and everything thats up there. got a lot of trails near my house, but they are narrow. i guess up there, they are atleast as wide as a road. sounds pretty cool. i put in for the week off from work in Feb., now i just need a sled.

partly because of a trip like this, and possibly an overnight trip or two (riding all night to a lodge and riding around and riding back)...thats why i was thinkin new. so i wouldnt run into all of the headaches that i have with my blazer. dont get me wrong. i dont regret it, and it helped me learn a ton about my truck....still, i might want a sled thats a little more reliable. plus, i know little to nothing about working on a sled. just anything i could use from working on my truck.

yah, your right, mainly flat-land i think is what i'll be riding as far as around here. but i do know that they were riding up a fairly steep hill up north at one point (but this trip is like a once a year trip). But, maybe since the trails will be kinda varied i should think 136 for the track about?

12. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Well, I was trying to not talk down anyone brand- but I will lay myself out to flamed. UP UNTIL LAST YEAR of all the brands out there, the one I would not buy is an AC. It seems that they break down more than most. All through high school and college we spent more time working on AC's than any other brand. In the last year or two AC has really stepped up to the plate IMO. Their 1M chassis is pretty good. It will take a year or so before I have an opinion on the new sleds. I have to see how they last.

I really like SkiDoo. However, I ride a Yamaha Mountain Max that is not even close to being stock. I am all about reliability. The Mountain Max seemed to be the sled you could mod quite a bit and still keep the reliablity. That is why I went with that. A good number of my friend's ride SkiDoo and they have not had much problem with reliablity. Next year I will probably buy a new sled, and it will be a SkiDoo. Just because I can't find another sled out there that has all the features I want- and the Doo has more than the rest of them.

I only ride in the mountains though so flatland sleds don't really interest me. Lots of guys up here in Alaska ride deep powder and mountains with shortracks. They are great riders and put paddletracks on though.

From my experience, and the four different sled mags I get each month it seems to be more about the features that each brand offers. All of the brands come from the factory aimed at the LCD of rider. With the correct jetting (for carbs) and clutching you can get a lot of extra power from all of them. From what you describe of your riding experience, any new sled you buy in the 600 or 700 cc range is going to make your smile for a week. Go to each shop, ask them to tell you why you should buy their brand over the other big three (big four Polaris, AC, Doo, Yamaha). The Doo Rev chassis does really well in bumps in my experience. No personal experience with the new AC and Pol suspensions. Some dealers will also set up test rides. Perhaps they will let you meet them out at the riding areas, and take a quick spin on their sleds? Or you could hang around the parking lot and chat up people and see if they will let you take a test ride. Go talk to the Doo guy you mentioned and have him explain the pro's and con's in his opinion of Doo's and the rest of the brands. If he thinks you are going to buy a Doo, I would be willing to bet he will let you take a test drive.
    I am just throwing ideas out here. It is tough to tell someone what to buy as I don't know what you are looking for exactly. Seat of the pants dyno is best way to choose a sled truthfully.
    Hope this helps in some way.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd really think a 6 or 700 Arctic Cat or Polaris. The Doo REV chassis has one big draw back, you can't stretch out. If you aren't hitting the bumps hardcore or cranking it up and you just want to putter around you can't just stretch out your legs and relax. I ride hard. If the trail permits it I will ride as hard as a Sno-X racer. I wouldn't buy a SnoPro sled myself. They are setup too heavy for me. Not the sled itself just the springs. I am 150lbs, one of those would be a back breaker on me unless I'm doing 30 foot doubles. A standard F7 is what I want. My dad had a Yamaha Viper, he blew it up ummm 3 times? 2 times dealership fixed it, third he used junk parts to fix a melted down cylinder. That was right before he wrapped it around a tree in NY. I haven't ridden the F chassis Arctic Cats to claim on ride but I do know the Edge Chassis Polaris sleds are about the best ride out there. Something like the Sabercat sounds like it would be really good for you. I really rarely touch Deep snow up in NY. I do not know how Massachusettes is but unless you are constantly riding in deep powder and up steep climbs don't think about anything but a short track. I know where we ride if you show up with a long track you won't be able to ride as hard(not to say a skilled rider couldn't manage it). OH and as far as Yamaha, the big thing there is, the 4 stroke engines. personally I want to smell like 2 stroke oil and sound like it ripping passed you at 9000 rpms. But I have no yet ridden an RX-1 or their new 3 cylinder. I'd wait a year or two before I bought one of them to get some more time to hear about problems. As for the F chassis reliability. When it was first introduced they have a few problems. This was when it was the Sno Pro race sled. THe chassis was raced HARD for a year or two before it became a production unit. Then after the first year I think the kinks are rubbed out. It is a sad state that in the snowmobile field, we have all these kick ass sleds but I would be weary about buying any first year production unit /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinkin of getting a new sled, just not sure which company.

[/ QUOTE ] I wouldn't buy a new sled, get an used machine that is like 1 year old. You will save soooo much money. Thats what I did with this 900cc 159" AC, 953 miles on it is nothing and it's an '03. Saved about 3.5K. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    the 570 i think has about 110 hp, and seemed like it lacked too much compared to the 700.

[/ QUOTE ] 110Hp sounds like a lot for a stock 570CC engine. My old machine is a '96 580 mountain cat and is 95HP stock, it could beat our '95 600 Vmax. I am not familiar with that 570 sled though. 110HP is a lot of power though, especially in a short track, light weight sled. My 900CC AC has 150HP stock. but the 159" 2" lug track slows it down a little bit. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, it seems like its been mentioned a lot to get a longer track. isnt that really just for hill climbs and deep snow?? i think i'll be doing typical trails, not so much hill climbs although maybe once in a while when goin up north.

[/ QUOTE ] YOur standard "classic" short track is 121". A standard "classic" long track is 136". Obviously in the last few years the manufacturers have blown out that number with the start of the 141" that everyone thought would be too long to now a 162" monster from AC in the F7. I think ski doo is also making a 162" monster. To answer your question.....I would buy a 121" shorty if you plan to NEVER get off that groomed trail, they aren't worth a darn in a couple of inches of powder but will fly down the trail from the light wieght and less rolling resistance. I would personally go with a 136" because they seem to ride better and can handle some nice powder without having to stay on it hard with the throttle to keep from getting stuck. Out here in the Far West we don't have much for parks and nice wide groomed trails. It's all about the back country with deep powder, bowls, and hill climbs for us. That is why we run high CC engines and longer tracks.

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know anything about the different companies and which are better for what reasons? Which have more power, better handling, etc for mid-range sleds on light-to-medium trails?? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well first off Arctic Cat uses a suzuki engine, they are hot motors and an arctic cat 600 will outpower a yamaha 600 anyday. Heck, our AC powder extreme with a 600 triple and pipes will beat a stock 700 mountain max in the 1/8 mile. AC's are fast machines! Like i said earlier, we bought both this '04 Polaris 700 and '03 900 mountain cat just this summer and have not rode them yet so I can't say anything about their chassi. I can say on the late 90's chassi the AC chassi handles and steers a lot better than the same year yamaha vmax. I know because I went from our 600 Vmax to my dads old sled which was the 580 mountain cat, it is faster, handles better, lighter, and steers better.

[ QUOTE ]

ok...being serious now...do you actually feel SAFE towing a sled with the blazer?? with the amount of rebound mine can have off of bumps, even with only a 4" lift and 35"s, i'd think the trailer would be all over the place. (i plan on just having my parents tow it on their 3-place trailer for now)

[/ QUOTE ] With the railer and two sleds in teh picture above....the trailer only wieghs about 2k to 2,200 depending on the amount of gear on board in the boxes. After my 406 swap I could hardly feel it back there and only on one steep grade on our way to our cabin do I have to hit 2nd gear for about a min. The old 350 was terrible. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It is perfectly stable, even with 10" of lift and 35" boggers. I tow a tandem flatbed all the time and had it as heavy as 4 tons behind my blazer. It's a little sluggish but not bad. My point is you should have no problem towing a 2-3 place trailer at all with your blazer.
    This year I get to try out my Dodge cummins and 4 place inclosed tandem trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    [​IMG]

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Up until the Viper and RX1 I think Yamaha's were underpowered junk. SRXs are decent but I raced them many times on the Viper and whooped them every time, whether it be flat out on a lake or 600' grass drags I always beat them. THe Viper was a 700cc triple puting out 120HP. Sounds low but consider it was a 3 into 1 exhaust. Yep single pipe /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Dad put some Bender pipes on his. He doesn't think it did a damn thing cause when we raced some XC700s, which we ran often, they were keeping up just like that did when the sled was stock. What he forgets nowadays is that when he put the pipes on the Viper those guys put on new heads, ported cylinders, new pipes and who knows what else on their sleds. Also the Viper wouldn't hook for crap off the line once that 150HP hit the track.

Like I and RJ said, I'd go with a Cat myself. They are all good machines, I don't think you can really go horribly wrong. I wouldn't buy an older Yamaha for a trail sled. Pre-2002 they had horrible suspensions and were under powered(namely the SXR series of sleds). I forgot to mention, when my dad blew his Viper up the second time, it was doing 80MPH across a lake and it blew a rod through the block /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif they had to get a new motor from Japan.

16. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not nos but 454 and a blower: /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]
    www.snowmonster.se

17. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I wonder why no one is talking about the new IQ chassis by Polaris? I'm a service advisor for a dealership here and we sell Cat and Polaris. Both are good companies. I personally like dealing with Polaris better. I sat in on some training recently with a couple of my techs - it was mostly focusing on what's new for '05 and of course the Fusion is the big talk. Check them out here: http://snowmobiles.polarisindustries.com/snowmobiles/default.aspx They are kinda big (I sat on one yesterday for a bit) but they look mean and the talk is that they are built to handle a trail better than any other. I will report back as to my experience with that in a couple of months, hopefully! I get to test some of the sleds after they are done being serviced, to see if the issues are resolved. Tough job, I know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Arctic Cat has made some good new changes to their sleds for this year - we've been learning more about them just recently. At work we're in the transition from boats/campers to ATV's/snowmobiles - a welcome change! If you want any technician advice on specifics, let me know and I'll be sure to ask.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cause I have seen nothing but pictures of a Fusion yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe my opinion will change when I see one and sit on it. I haven't ridden an F chassis sled but it just feels like I can throw it around just like I love to do.

19. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

sounds like you are in a real pinch here.

20. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

one word... POLARIS!!!
    get the new EFI 900 RMK!!!!!!!!!!!
    (rocky mountain king)