Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which soft top for Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Radek, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Radek

Radek Registered Member

I'm looking for a soft top for my 85 Blazer.
    So far the only ones I have found are the ones that were "reviewed" on coloradok5.
    The Canback one http://www.coloradok5.com/can-backreview.shtml
    and then the Kayline one
    http://www.coloradok5.com/kaylinereview.shtml

I really like the look of the CanBack and the integrated ability to add "load bars" is nice. The Kayline looks a little cheesy but from the photos the rack construction looks beefier.

Do you guys have any suggestions of choosing one over the other? Also are there other manufacturers offering imilar products?
    Thanks

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

where to get a soft top for a 74 blazer???

3. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

Don't choose the Kayline on account of "beefier rack construction". The bows are constructed of 1/2" electrical conduit (my wife could bend them in two over her knee). The top is decent, but the bow construction is lacking. I guess you get what you pay for.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I liked my Kayline just fine. I would never consider loading anything on a soft top anyways...

I think the price difference is mainly in the fabric material. The Canback uses a much heavier and probably more durable material. With good care the Kayline (actually Specialty top Company now) will last for quite some time.

Rene

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The Specialty top (old Kayline) is a good top for the money, keep in mind they are only around 500.-600. the canback is prolly the best quality but runs over 1000. and you can't take the top down as easy, but I will be selling the Can-Backs prolly this week.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.offcamber4x4.com/
    There is a picture of my 75 with a Spice STC top. I like it a lot. Seals better than expected. The first Gen Guys have had some problems with the STC fast track sealing on the windsheild header but it's totaly different than the 73-75. If you join CK5 you get a discount on the top on Offcamber4x4 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'll have a review on the top very soon. Had to reshoot a couple pictures and Just need to do a final edit before I send it to Steve to get posted.

7. Radek

Radek Registered Member

Steve, let me know then and I'll get mine from you. What is the price and all that fun stuff.
    Thanks

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I need to talk to them tomorrow abot pricing and such, but want to try and sell them (Can-Back) for $50.00 less than what Can-back (retail) sells them for.

9. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

my 86 has a bestop. It works pretty decent the only wierd thing about it would be how the supports hook up. Also you have to screw in mounts before you go from hard top to soft top, so you can't quickly swap one for the other. i.e. you can't have the hard top on and also have the soft top brackets mounted. But its definitely durable ive had it for a long time now

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

steve my can back only ran me 800 threw 4wheel parts..that is if it ever shows up...i ordered it over a month ago...it seems to be turning in to an ordeal like it did with stockton wheel...had my money but dident have anything in hand and kept gettin lied to on when it was goin to get shipped... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif