Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Specialty Top Brand Soft Top??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Mar 3, 2003.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I have a 90k5 and I am going to buy a brand new soft top within the next couple of weeks. I am going to buy a soft top from Specialty Top formerly Kayline. I was wondering which one is better the fast track or the one that snaps. I would like to run my soft top just in the summer and then put the hard back on in the winter. So I am looking for one that will come down easy and uses less holes to drill. If I have to drill a lot of holes I am hoping the hard top will cover them in the winter time. My intentions are to get the fast track but I would like opinions from people that use this top. Thanks!!

2. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

FASTTRAC!!!!!!!!!! The only way!!!It will take you longer to get your top off than it will to install the kit. In my case it was. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    uses less holes to drill. If I have to drill a lot of holes I am hoping the hard top will cover them in the winter time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the one that snaps is like my bestop, get the fastrac. I love my bestop, but after drilling over 50 holes into my truck, it got old. And NO, the hardtop does NOT cover a single one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I would go with the one that has the least amount of holes to drill. Due to rust aka truck cancer. I have been looking for a soft top for my 88. I liked skylercorps soft top that bolted on with all the factory holes and the actual soft top came off with velcro. I dont like tha snap on ones due to NH winter and salt. You may want to try to see a boat dealer to see if they can specially make a top that fits you. This is what I may due this spring, but I am going to make up rails up my self to velcro the top to, like skylercorp did. check out skylercorp.com for some ideas if you want to build one.
    Hope this helps. good luck

88 GMC Jimmy 350,stock, chrome wheels(helps me go faster)

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

My understanding is that all the tops bolt down the same. I'm running the curtain/ bed cover and only had to drill holes on the back of the cab and the tailgate. The only one's that show with the hard top on are the one's on the tailgate. Mine is the fastrack style and I know that the fastrack can be a pain sometimes but I can see where it would be better in some cases.