Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which springs for the rear...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im finishing up my 52" spring swap up front and am trying to decide what to swap into the rear. Right now I have stock 52s, with a ORD shackle flip and Teraflex Revolver shackles. I want to use some longer stock springs and remove the revolvers. Thing is, I don't want to move my shackle flip bracket back any further than it is... and I don't want to relocate my axle either... want it right where it is. I have no problem moving the front spring hanger, swapping sides on the ORD shackle flip brackets or getting/making new rear shackles. Based on that criteria, which springs should I go with? 56s? 57s? 63s would pretty much require moving the rear hangers... don't wanna do that, so they are out.

j

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've read a couple of times that swapping sides with the brackets allows you to run the 56's but according to this thread - http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132186 - that is not the case (at least without other mods like a shackle, etc).

I just TTT'd that thread looking for a final fix.

3. jekbrown

yeah, np going with longer shackles.. I just dont want to change my wheelbase or move the rear hangers back. The frame is going to get chopped right behind their current position at some point soon. 56s might work, but their center pins are offset 4" right? could I just move the front hanger and/or flip the ORD brackets to accomodate that or....?

j

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

57's, i flipped the brackets of my ord kit side to side with a longer shackle.
    my shackle is about a 45* angle. which i like.
    the 56's would fit no problem. the 4" off set is all to the rear of the springs so they won't change your wheelbase unless you turn them around.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

You can flip the side of your ord shackl flips. Bolt on 57's long side foward. ANd put 0 rates moving the axle back foward 1.5 " and it almost sits in the same spot. And you can use stock shackle if you wanted (even though 2 " longer would be better) This is the setup I just removed for 63's :D

6. jekbrown

hmmmm... decisions decisions... anyone else want to weigh in? I am going to be running a trac bar with these springs, so I ain't to worried about wrap. Just want mad flex without the revolvers...

j

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

From what I have "heard"

Since the 63's are so long, they tend to be land anchors.
    since the 57's leaves are thinner, they probably MIGHT warp with a bit of axle wrap.
    56's are thicker leaves, and still flex like mad.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm happy with my 57's and a shackle flip. I wasn't behind me to watch the suspension this weekend but I for sure didn't have any problems :)

9. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i 2nd the 56s got them on both ends of mine now....flex like mad....axle still in the stock location...common....i have a set of 56s if u need some

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I dont know if I wold call 63's land anchors till you try them. My truck has amazing stuff and droop. I have 63's in the rear and am puttinf 57's in the front.

12. jekbrown

lol, moving the front hanger is cool, I can do that. I just don't want my rig to be any longer than it already is... the the rear hangers are staying put.

lead, you have a PM. :)

j

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've been tossing this around since I joined and I decided on 56's after I posted a similar question a week or so ago and found that (becuase I'm a K10 w/ a saddlebag tank that I dont' want to move) I'm going w/ 56's. Everyone says they flex like mad as it is, and to me and what I use the truck for, the extra flex a 64 would provide woudln't quite make the extra trouble worth it for me.

It sounds like for you, and for me as well, that turning the ORD flip bracket around (or running a kit like this w/ 2 holes) and running 56's would be sufficient for mad flex with the least braketry movment. I'm still deciding on which flip kit to go with.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Aren't you running a flat gut like me? The thing I hate most about my pickup is the fact that there is so much overhang. I'd have made the wheelbase even longer except the gas tank is in the way and I don't want to relocate it.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I haven't tried the 63's, so I wouldn't know if they were land anchors or not, I just "heard" they were. I must be wrong though.
    Thanks for the correction. :)

16. jekbrown

the belly isn't flat right now, I'm not going to mess with the belly aspect until I go doubler so I can clock everything out of the way the proper way. :) I'm gonna relocate my gas tank at some point... I dont want anything behind my rear spring hangers.

j

17. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

here is a pic of my relocated shackle flip with 56's. If you swap sides on the ORD flip and run longer shackles ( I think its 7.5" hole to hole) you don't have to relocate the shackle flip. If you run a stock shackle, you will have trouble with the shackle "locking" closed on you. I will post a pic of it too.

DCP_0966.JPG

shackle collapsed.JPG

18. jekbrown

cool, thanks for the pics. I think swapping sides with the brackets and long shackles seems like the way to go for me. Shouldn't be too much work either... atleast compared to the 52" spring swap I am doing now up front. lol! speaking of which, back to the carport...

j

19. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Just curious why you want to ditch the revolvers? I was thinking about getting some, no good?

20. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Jek... i didnt read all the posts in this thread so i maybe repeating... anyway

If you flip sides with the brackets, Then just move them back a little bit.. I moved mine back about an inch. I have been running them like this for a couple years now with no issue. After we get done with the cage, im gonna bring the truck home, Turn the 56"s around to stretch the wheelbase 4 inches in the back, that should help a lot in regards to moving the flip brackets backward.